This Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie is the perfect smoothie to get you through the day! It’s packed with flavour, made with few and simple ingredients you probably already have on hand and it’s SO easy to make at home.
You can’t go wrong with the classic chocolate and peanut butter combo. It’s a classic for a reason, am I right?! Made with only six simple ingredients, this Chocolate and Peanut Butter Smoothie is quick to whip up for a little pick-me-up any time of day! It’s refreshingly light, packed with protein and is the perfect way to fuel your body. And the best part? It’s ready in just 5 minutes. You’re going to love it!
I love a good smoothie. I mean, who doesn’t?! The options are always endless. They can be creamy, or icy, or fruity. Or they can be like this Chocolate and Peanut Butter Smoothie and be chocolate-y and extra frothy. They’re so easy to make at home, a perfect and fun way to sneak in some extra nutrients and make a great quick on-the-go breakfast or snack. What’s not to love?
Ok so, I have a confession to make. I don’t own a proper blender. I know, I know. Like what?! Are you even a food blogger if you don’t own a blender?! In all fairness, I love my food processor and use it for everything. Yes, I have to also confess that using a blender would have probably made this entire thing a little easier (and a whole lot less messy!). But, we still got a delicious tasting Chocolate and Peanut Butter Smoothie outta it. So no, you really don’t need a high powered blender to make smoothies. Heck, you really don’t need any blender at all.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE
This Chocolate and Peanut Butter Smoothie is so simple and quick to make! With only 6 basic ingredients you probably already have on hand, it comes together in just a few minutes. Here’s what you’ll need in a little bit more detail:
- Peanut Butter: I’m an advocate for clean peanut butter! I’ll stand up on the rooftops and say it! It’s okay to have some natural additives such as sea salt or honey but the peanut butter you buy should have one (main) ingredient. And that is peanuts. That’s it, that’s all there is to it! Peanut butter made from only peanuts! If you do use a different version – with added sugars and other ‘crap’ – you can probably omit the dates as their purpose is to add sweetness. Or adjust the levels of the other ingredients. But I wouldn’t know, yo. Natural PB is the way to go. You can use smooth or crunchy, depending on your mood!
- Cocoa Powder: What makes our smoothie lush, rich and chocolate-y. I use raw unsweetened cocoa powder which just so happens to be rich in calcium, magnesium and iron. Since the dates provide the sweetness we need, take care not to use cocoa powder with added sugars (i.e. hot chocolate mix).
- Greek Yogurt: Acts as a thickener for the smoothie. Also gives it that smooth, creamy consistency and adds protein. I used Plain Full Fat Greek Yogurt here but any yogurt will do. You can use flavoured yogurt (i.e. vanilla), too, if you prefer!
- Pitted Dates: To add some sweetness! Dates are a good source of antioxidants, B vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. PRO TIP: If your dates are not soft and malleable, soak them in water for about 10 minutes, then drain.
- Milk: The liquid in our smoothie and what helps blend all the ingredients to perfection. Also helps give it that smooth, creamy consistency. I used unsweetened almond milk here but you can use whichever milk you have on hand or prefer.
- Vanilla Extract: For an extra boost of flavour! Also enhances the overall taste of the smoothie.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE (KEY TIPS)
- Use natural peanut butter if you can bear it. Pretty please? Or you may need to adjust the other ingredients to accommodate the added sugars in peanut butter made with ingredients other than just peanuts.
- Use raw unsweetened cocoa powder. We don’t need all the extra added sugars from the various other versions since the that’s what the dates are for!
- Make sure the dates are pitted and soft before blending the ingredients together. If they’re not, simply soak them in water for about 10 minutes until they become soft enough to remove the pit and use.
- Add more liquid if necessary. If you notice your smoothie not blending up properly or being too thick, add some more milk to help it along and smooth it out.
- You do not need a high powered, million dollar blender to make this Chocolate and Peanut Butter Smoothie! After all, I used a food processor. A standard blender will work just fine.
- Ice is optional but keeps the smoothie cold and makes it extra delicious. If you don’t plan on using ice, make sure your milk is extra cold.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you can definitely make this smoothie in advance. Just blend up the ingredients without ice and store in a mason jar (with a tight fitting lid) or in a closed bottle and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can either drink it straight out of the cold fridge (give it a good shake beforehand) or blend it up again over some ice and consume immediately.
I love changing up my smoothies from day to day, even just by a little bit. Some of my favourite things to add are hemp seeds, ground flax or chia seeds, protein powder and extra fruits or veggies (bananas would be great with this one!). I switch up the milks and yogurts from time to time and also use different nut butters instead of just peanut butter. Almond, cashew or even tahini would be great alternatives.
Sure, but it won’t be the same. I would recommend pouring the smoothie into ice cube trays then freezing. Once you have solid cubes, you can thaw them as needed directly in a cup. Or you can reblend in a blender (or food processor ;)) for a slushie style frozen treat!
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE
Nutty, chocolate-y and delicious. The flavour combo that can't be beat!
- 1 cup Unsweetened Milk of Choice, more as needed (regular or plant based)
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Yogurt of Choice (I used Plain Greek)
- 2 Pitted Dates*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- A few Ice Cubes (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Add more milk if the ingredients are having a hard time being blended.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5gSugar: 28gProtein: 20g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
LOOKING FOR SOME DELICIOUS MEALS TO ENJOY WITH THIS SMOOTHIE? YOU’LL LOVE THESE:
FLOURLESS PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES