To you, this may just look like a great big bowl o’ tomatoes. And you may not be completely wrong but I want you to know that this family takes their Tomato Salads verrrry serious around here. It starts with the unwritten rule: If you have a garden (which you probably do if you’re an old Italian Nonno) then you grow an abundance of tomatoes (and I mean an ABUNDANCE). Once every inch of your backard garden has a Tomato plant, you tend to them several times daily and prepare for unlimited Tomato Salads alllll Summer long. Sure, there are other things you can do with hundreds of homegrown Tomatoes but a daily Tomato Salad is ALWAYS on the top of that list. Just ask ANYONE in my entire family.
WHAT TOMATOES DO I USE FOR TOMATO SALAD?
Since this salad is so dang good and really is more than just some fresh Tomatoes thrown into a bowl, don’t let only having store-bought ones deter you. We love the Romas but any should do! You want as fresh and juicy as you can find. Cut them up into relatively even bite-sized pieces. Annnd, you’re good to go!
The only mandatory rule for this thing from here on out is: You better have a chunk of crusty Italian bread waiting to soak up all the delicious juices (seriously THE BEST part) cause that’s just non-negociable.
FAMILY FAVOURITE TOMATO SALADCourse: Lunch, Sides, AppetizersCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
As fresh as it gets.
What You’ll Need
6 Roma Tomatoes*
3 Garlic Cloves
1 tbsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, good quality
Olives, Hot Pepper, Fresh Basil* optional (see notes)
Italian Crusty Bread, optional (but kind of mandatory)
- Roughly cut the tomatoes into small bite-sized chunks. My mom is a pro at this and could probably do it with her eyes closed but although they don’t need to be chopped perfectly, I recommend keeping your eyes open. Put ’em in a large bowl.
- Roughly chop the garlic. We like to keep some in slightly bigger pieces (so not finely minced) but it’s up to you how you wanna go about this. Throw it a-top the tomatoes.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix until everything is nicely combined and coated with the olive oil. That’s literally it…the best tomato salad evvvvver. Don’t forget the bread!!!
- We like using the Roma Tomatoes (especially if they’re homegrown) but any should work
- Once you have the base of the salad ready to go, you could add your fav mix-ins. Sometimes we add hot peppers, olives, fresh basil… the list is endless!
WANT MORE SALAD IDEAS? TRY THESE ONES: