Who knew homemade Honey Garlic Chicken Wings could be this easy?! Perfect for any occasion, these Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are extra saucy and just as good as the pub next door’s!
Replicate that classic wing flavour from the local pub with these homemade Honey Garlic Chicken Wings! You’ll never believe just how easy it is to make your own honey garlic sauce with no added crap or ingredients you can’t pronounce! These Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are saucy, sticky, have just the right about of sweetness and are sure to please the entire crowd. PRO TIP: Make a double batch from the get go! 😉
Hi. I’m Andrea. And if you’re new here, I have an undying love for Chicken Wings. And these homemade, juicy, finger licking Honey Garlic Chicken Wings make that love even bigger.
It’s no secret if you’ve been here for a while that I’m a saucy gal. The more sauce, the better should be (and really is) my life motto when it comes to food and cooking. Therefore, you know I’m always game for anything you can dip in some sauce (how about these Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks? Or these Air Fryer French Fries?). And I’m definitely game for anything that can be smothered in sauce (Prosciutto and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken, anyone?). It’s no wonder Chicken Wings, which can be both dipped and smothered in any kind of sauce under the sun, are one of my favourite things to make and eat.
It’s also no secret, if you’ve been here for a while, that checking ingredients in the things I buy is just part of who I am and my trips to the grocery store. IMHO, it should be part of everyone’s trip to the grocery store. However, I understand that sometimes we’re in a rush and this isn’t always possible. I also know that checking ingredients in everything you buy takes a bit of getting used to, a habit you have to work on (don’t worry, it’s never too late!).
The beauty of these Honey Garlic Chicken Wings is that we don’t have to worry about checking the ingredients on the back of some store-bought honey garlic sauce. We make our own. We so easily make our own. And then we douse every last Chicken Wing in it and wonder why it took us this long to ever try making it ourselves at home. These Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are absolutely perfect.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE FOR HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN WINGS
A few simple seasonings go onto the wings before they get tossed in the most delicious homemade honey garlic sauce that you, YES YOU, made yourself! Let’s discuss ’em in a little bit more detail down below:
- Chicken Wings: You can use one or two pounds of split chicken wings. I like using both wings and drums but if you have a preference, you can use just one or the other. If you only make one pound of Chicken Wings, you’ll have some leftover Honey Garlic Sauce. However, I wouldn’t halve the recipe for the sauce if you go that route. Just save any unused extras in a jar with a tight fitting lid. It keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and is good on anything from pork to potatoes. But, if you go with making two pounds, use all the sauce to toss the wings!
- Homemade Honey Garlic Sauce (Ingredient Breakdown down below): The star of the show! So simple and quick to make, you’ll never want to buy the store bought stuff again! It’s the perfect balance of garlic and sweet and goes absolutely amazing on these homemade oven baked chicken wings. It really is like eating at the local bar but right in the comfort of your own home! Ice cold beer optional but highly recommended 😉
- Baking Powder (don’t confuse with baking soda): The key to crispy AF Chicken Wings. Therefore, don’t skip it! The alkaline in the baking powder increases the pH level in the chicken skin which breaks down the peptide bonds and leads to a browner, crispier skin.
- Garlic Powder: For an extra garickly kick and flavor. Because you can never have too much garlic, am I right?
- Salt/Pepper: Adds flavor and seasoning to the wings.
PRO TIP: Mix the spices together in a small bowl before adding them to the Chicken Wings. This will ensure they get evenly dispersed and coated amongst the wings.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PERFECT HOMEMADE HONEY GARLIC SAUCE
When you realize just how easy, delicious and cheap it is to make your own honey garlic sauce from scratch, you’ll never want to buy jarred honey garlic sauce again! Let’s talk about the ingredients in a little bit more detail down below:
- Honey: The base of our homemade Honey Garlic Sauce – I mean, we call it Honey Garlic for a reason! It adds the perfect amount of sweetness, thickness and consistency to the sauce.
- Garlic: The other necessary ingredient to make this Honey Garlic Sauce come to life. Use fresh garlic and mince it finely for best results. Therefore, substituting garlic powder is really not an option here if you want to achieve that authentic honey garlic flavor. Using pre-minced garlic also won’t yield the best results. We want pungent, fresh and flavorful garlic we will actually be able to taste amongst the other ingredients. PRO TIP: Reserve about 2 teaspoons of minced garlic for stirring into the sauce after cooking. This will give you those perfect minced garlic pieces you see in the photos on these wings. A beautiful touch and so yummy!
- Cornstarch and Water: Used to help thicken our homemade Honey Garlic Sauce to a desired consistency. PRO TIP: Make a “slurry” with the cornstarch and water. A slurry is when you mix cornstarch with a liquid before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. Doing so will prevent the cornstarch from clumping up and allow you to freely add these ingredients to the sauce with no issues.
- Brown Sugar: For sweetness and color. Caramelizes the sauce as it cooks for a deeper/richer flavor.
- Rice Vinegar: For added tang and acidity. Helps to balance out the sweetness of the sauce!
- Soy Sauce: Adds a delicious saltiness to the sauce and helps it gain its deep brown color.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN WINGS AT HOME (KEY TIPS)
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towel before seasoning and cooking. This will remove any excess lingering moisture and lead to a crispier outer skin.
- Don’t be shy on your seasonings. Yes, we douse these wings in the much-loved Honey Garlic Sauce you made yourself! But, that doesn’t mean they don’t need to be seasoned before getting to that final step. Seasoning the wings before baking and saucing with salt, pepper, garlic powder and baking powder will ultimately provide more flavor as the seasonings penetrate the chicken and will bake into the wings as they cook.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and aluminum foil for easy clean up. These wings are juicy and you could be in for a true disaster if you leave your pans unlined! Plus, lining your baking sheet is always good to help prevent sticking.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet with the chicken wings. Leave enough room between them so air can circulate and the wings can “breathe” as they bake which helps cook them evenly and crisp up the skin.
- Make sure your oven is suppper hot before adding the chicken wings. The heat helps in crisping up the skin quickly and perfectly.
- Flip the chicken wings halfway through baking to ensure even cooking on both sides. When the wings are done, an instant read thermometer should read 165 °F.
- Immediately toss the wings in the honey garlic sauce after they finish cooking. The sauce will cling to the hot wings and maximize the overall flavor. OPTIONAL: Try putting the chicken wings back into the oven, for an additional 5 minutes, after coating them in the honey garlic sauce. This will caramelize the sauce onto the wings as they bake, altering the overall flavor just a bit. However, this is an optional step and based on preference. The chicken wings are delicious, either way.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I mean, what doesn’t go good with honey garlic chicken wings?! Try them with these Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts, this Broccoli with Bacon Salad or these Greek Style Roasted Potatoes. Want to keep things a little on the healthier side? This Rapini Recipe or this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice has got you covered.
Just don’t forget the ranch sauce or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Leftover chicken wings should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and eaten within 5 days. To reheat, simply lay them in a single layer on a parchment paper or aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can use a microwave.
Sure! If you want to freeze these honey garlic chicken wings, allow them to cool completely. Lay them out on a rimmed plate or baking sheet and flash freeze for an hour, until mostly solid. Transfer to a large ziploc bag and freeze for up to four months. When ready to eat, simply thaw in the fridge overnight, then pop in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
Alternatively, you can freeze the wings before cooking. To do this, place them in a large ziploc freezer bag, add enough honey garlic sauce to coat and freeze for up to six months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before following the baking instructions. Side Note: Since the chicken wings will already be tossed in the sauce prior to cooking following this method, you may need to cover the sheet pan with aluminum foil for the entire cooking process to prevent burning. Remove foil in the last 5 minutes of baking so the sauce can caramelize on the wings.
For the Baked Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds Split Chicken Wings*
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
For the Homemade Honey Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 8 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the salt, pepper, garlic powder and baking powder until well combined. Place the chicken wings in a large bowl and pat dry with paper towel. Add the seasoning and toss to coat.
- Lay the chicken wings in a single layer on the rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Flip. Continue baking for an additional 20 minutes or until the juices run clear and an instant read thermometer reads 165 °F.
- Meanwhile, make the honey garlic sauce: In a small saucepan combine the honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and all but 2 tsp of the minced garlic. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch until all the cornstarch has dissolved. Pour this mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the ingredients and turn the heat on medium. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the rest of the garlic. Set aside to cool slightly as the wings finish baking.
- Place the cooked wings in a large bowl.
- Immediately toss with the homemade honey garlic sauce until all the wings are nice and evenly coated. OPTIONAL: Pop the saucy chicken wings back into the oven for an additional 5 minutes to allow the sauce to caramelize on the wings. Serve with carrots, celery and your favourite sides and dipping sauces. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 896Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 2478mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 40g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
LOVE CHICKEN WINGS? TRY MY CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WING RECIPE NEXT!
GOT SOME PLANT BASED FRIENDS IN THE GROUP? TRY MY BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER WINGS INSTEAD!
LOVE CHICKEN? YOU’LL LOVE THESE FAVOURITES: