Take your breakfast game to a whole new level with these crispy Oven Baked Homemade Home Fries! They’re super simple to make, easily customizable and are the perfect side dish for anything from pancakes and waffles to eggs and omelettes.
Can you think of your favourite breakfast or brunch spot without thinking of their home fries? I mean, really. I know I can’t. We don’t even have to be thinking of the same place in order to both be thinking of the most perfect home fries EVER. You know… perfectly seasoned and crispy on the outside with soft and tender insides. The best accompaniment to any breakfast and a menu item that diners and breakfast restaurants around the world have simultaneously mastered. It’s almost a given – when I walk into any greasy spoon type of place I just expect that the home fries are going to be top notch. A crime it would be if they weren’t. Am I right?
SPOILER ALERT: Once you serve up this easy recipe for homemade home fries to anyone, they are always going to expect top notch home fries from you, too.
Coincidently, one of my first ever “real” serving jobs was at a Golden Griddle, a family restaurant known for its weekend breakfast buffet. The buffet was loaded with your typical breakfast culprits such as eggs any style, bacon, sausages, cereals, pancakes, waffles and the list goes on. But, it would never fail. The first item to always go and the one that had to be replenished the most each and every breakfast buffet weekend was always the home fries! And as I’m sure any breakfast restaurant owner would claim, ours were always the best!
What if I told you that you, too, can make the very best homemade home fries?! That you can have those diner style, crispy and perfectly seasoned home fries right in the comfort of your own home? And no, not by ordering take out. Homemade home fries are so easy to make yourself at home! They come out perfectly crispy and crunchy on the outside with soft and tender insides. Although, IMHO, the seasoning on these bad boys could not be any more perfect to suit a variety of tasty dishes, feel free to change them up a bit if your heart so desires.
Ever since working at the Golden Griddle back in my teenage years, I’ve always looked at homemade home fries as a way to elevate any breakfast I’m serving. 20 years later and I can confidently say I still do! And guess what? I may not be the owner of a breakfast restaurant or diner but I state my claim: MY HOMEMADE HOME FRIES ARE SERIOUSLY THE BEST!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE HOME FRIES IN THE OVEN
The simplest of the simplest ingredients come together to turn regular ol’ potatoes into these crispy oven baked homemade home fries. Let’s discuss them in a little bit more detail down below:
- Potatoes: Well, duh! Potatoes are the star of the show in this recipe! I like using either Russet Potatoes or White Potatoes. They have a high starch content and hold their shape well. This results in a fluffy interior and crispy exterior when cooked. I love leaving the skins on for added texture and extra nutrients. However, you can totally peel the potatoes if you prefer.
- Olive Oil: Coats the cubed potatoes before baking which helps the seasonings stick as well as achieving a crispy texture. As always, good quality and extra virgin work best in this recipe. However, feel free to use a different kind of high-heat oil (such as avocado) instead, if you prefer.
- Garlic Powder: Gives these homemade home fries a savoury and slightly pungent garlic flavour. Garlic powder (as opposed to fresh garlic) works best in this recipe.
- Italian Seasoning: Adds a delicious depth of flavour to the seasoning mix and the perfect herby notes. A great way to add a variety of different flavours by only using one spice. If you’re feeling adventurous, try making your own homemade Italian seasoning from scratch following this easy recipe.
- Parsley: Optional but adds an extra herby flavour and a vibrant pop of colour to the final dish. Fresh chopped parsley works best in this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: A must when making french fries of any kind! Salt enhances the overall flavour of the fries, while black pepper adds a mild, Earthy heat. Adjust these to your preference and taste.
HOW TO MAKE HOME FRIES IN THE OVEN (KEY TIPS)
You can find full instructions for how to make these oven baked diner style home fries in the recipe card down below. But here are a few quick tips to keep in mind:
- Do your best to cut the potatoes into even sized cubes. Uniform sizes ensure even cooking in the same amount of time. It also helps in achieving consistent crispiness which is super important when it comes to making home fries at home.
- Don’t be shy on the seasonings! Be sure to coat each individual piece of potato completely for best and most flavourful results. I like tossing the potatoes with the oil and seasonings in a bowl before spreading them out onto the prepared baking sheet juuusst to make sure everything is completely coated. However, to save on time and dishes, feel free to do this directly on the sheet pan before baking.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet. Arrange the home fries in an even single layer. Overcrowding can lead to steaming instead of crisping. PRO TIP: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. This not only keeps the home fries from sticking to the pan as they bake but it also helps make clean up a breeze!
- Flip the home fries halfway through baking. This ensure even browning on both sides. And also helps achieve a uniformly crispy texture.
- All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on the home fries towards the end of the cooking time to ensure nothing burns. When they’re done, they should be golden brown and crispy on the outsides with soft and tender insides.
- For the best texture, serve your crispy oven baked home fries immediately after baking. They tend to lose some of their crispiness as they cool. And don’t forget the dipping sauce! Ketchup, aioli or a spicy mayo are some of my top choices for serving.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The term “home fries” typically refers to a style of cooked potatoes that are sliced, diced, or cubed and then fried or roasted. The name “home fries” suggests that they are a simple, home-cooked dish that can be easily prepared in a home kitchen. The use of the word “home” emphasizes the idea that this is a familiar and straightforward way of preparing potatoes, often associated with homemade, comfort food.
The exact origin of the term is not definitively known, but “home fries” have likely been a popular dish in home kitchens for a long time.
The cooking time for home fries in the oven can vary based on factors such as the size of your potatoes and your oven’s temperature accuracy. Generally, it takes about 30 to 40 minutes in a 425°F (220°C) oven.
Remember to flip the fries halfway through the baking time to ensure even browning on both sides. Keep a close eye towards the end of the cooking time, as individual ovens may vary, and you want the fries to be golden brown and crispy. The key is to monitor their progress and adjust the time as needed based on your desired level of crispiness.
Several factors could contribute to your fries not getting crispy in the oven. Here are some common reasons: overcrowding the baking sheet as the fries will steam rather than crisp up, not flipping halfway through to ensure even crisping up on both sides, insufficient coating of oil which will result in dry or less crispy fries or an oven that isn’t hot enough.
By addressing these factors, you should be able to troubleshoot and improve the crispiness of your oven-baked fries.
Yes! These bad boys are oven baked instead of commercially prepared or deep fried. And the best part is that you can control the quantity of added ingredients such as oil and salt. You can also choose what kind of oil you want to use and what to serve on or with these homemade home fries.
- 4 large Russet Potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning*
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste (be generous)
- Fresh Chopped Parsley, for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the potatoes (peel, if desired...I don't). Cut them into even sized chunks or cubes and place them into a bowl with the oil and seasonings. Toss well to coat.
- Place the seasoned potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Make sure they're not overcrowded to ensure they get crispy.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until they're golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through to ensure even browning. Transfer to a bowl, garnished with fresh chopped parsley and extra salt, if needed. Serve immediately with ketchup and all your favourite dipping sauces.
If you're feeling adventurous, try making your own homemade Italian seasoning from scratch following this easy recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
MORE POTATO RECIPES FOR YOU TO LOVE