This Recipe for Pumpkin Spice just screams fall. Elevate anything from pancakes, desserts and lattes to soups and pasta sauces. All you need are five simple spices and you’ll never have to buy pumpkin spice at the grocery store again!
Ready to do some Fall baking or sip on some homemade pumpkin spice lattes? This recipe for Pumpkin Spice is all you need to get started and will give you that perfect pumpkin flavour you know and love so well. This spice mix is quick and easy to make and you probably already have all the spices in your pantry right now. Once you see just how easy (quicker, healthier and tastier) it is to make your own DIY Pumpkin Spice mix at home, something tells me you’re never going to want to buy it in the store again! Hello Fall, we’re ready for you!
If you’re anything like half the world out there, you’re already screaming out “gimmie alllllll the pumpkin spice” from the rooftops by now. Cause nothin’ says cozy Fall vibes like pumpkin spice EVERYTHING! Am I Right?! But, there’s only one problem. You look into your fully loaded spice cabinet and realize that one has slipped you by. You don’t keep pumpkin spice on hand! Well, not to worry, my friend. This recipe for pumpkin spice is easy to make, comes together super quick and will stop you from having to get out of your pjs and head over to the store. The spices needed to make it are probably already in that spice cabinet of yours!
Whether you’re ready to do some Fall baking or put your barista skills to the test and whip up some mandatory Fall pumpkin spice lattes, there’s no doubt this spice blend is the perfect mix to get you started. It’s fresh and flavourful and has alllll the warm and cozy vibes. And it’ll take up no more than five minutes of your time to make. So, what are you waiting for? Hand me my latte!
INGREDIENTS FOR PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
With only five simple spices you probably already have lurking around your spice cabinet, this homemade pumpkin pie spice will be ready in no time at all. It’s almost a crime not to make it yourself at home! These spices are flavourful on their own but when mixed together, they create the perfect pumpkin blend that just scream Fall.
- Cinnamon: The base of this DIY pumpkin spice. Adds light, sweet tasting notes to the spice.
- Ginger: Adds somewhat of a warm and spicy bite to the spice.
- Allspice: Adds a rich and almost spicy kick to the spice. Some say that allspice, on its own, tastes like a combination of cloves, nutmeg and ginger. When added to this pumpkin spice, the overall flavour amplifies.
- Nutmeg: Adds a slightly sweet, nutty taste to the spice and helps balance out the rest of the ingredients.
- Cloves: It’s slightly bitter taste provides depth and balance to the spice.
HOW TO EASILY MAKE YOUR OWN PUMPKIN SPICE AT HOME (KEY TIPS)
- Use fresh spices. You want potent spices that still hold a ton of flavour. Keep in mind that spices start to lose their flavour after some time so you’ll get the best results if what you’re using is as fresh as can be.
- If you find your spice mixture a little on the lumpy side, push it through a small sieve with the back of a spoon. This should filter out all the lumps!
- Use a small jar or bowl to mix the spices until they’re well combined. You want everything to be mixed as good as possible so give yourself a vessel big enough to do so. EXTRA TIP: Using a jar makes for easy clean up and less dishes as you don’t have to transfer the spice mixture to something else afterwards. Use a jar with a tight fitting lid. That way, you can store the pumpkin spice mix directly in the jar after shaking up all the ingredients!
- Feel free to double the batch if you plan to use it a lot aka if you’re a pumpkin spice fanatic. If there’s no stopping you when it comes to making things pumpkin spice, go on, double the batch…we don’t judge. One recipe makes 5 tablespoons. On the other hand, feel free to half the recipe if you feel like you won’t use it all.
- Feel free to tweak this recipe for pumpkin spice to your own personal preference and liking. I personally love it the way it is but you might prefer more or less of one spice over another. Try it as is, then adjust if necessary.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This pumpkin spice is best stored in an airtight container or small jar with a tight fitting lid to lock in the freshness and flavour. Store it in a cool, dry place aka your spice cabinet with all your other spices. The best part? It’ll keep for a pretttty long time and definitely the entirety of Fall baking season! (If stored properly, it can last for up to 3 years but as with most spices, it might lose some of it’s flavour and freshness within that time).
Well, the obvious answer is to use it for pumpkin pie! But let me tell you that this pumpkin spice will elevate anything from pumpkin flavoured desserts, to soups, to pasta sauce, to pancakes, to lattes and everything in between. Therefore, anything you want to give that yummy, warm Fall flavour to, this DIY pumpkin spice is your best friend. Try it in these Pumpkin Spice Cookies or this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread. If you’re looking for something on the savoury side, it takes this Pumpkin Soup to a whole other level.
No, allspice and pumpkin spice are not the same thing. Allspice is actually the dried, unripened berry of the pimento tree native to Jamaica. Therefore, it’s its own spice with a separate flavour profile. Although when tasted by itself, some say it tastes like a combination of cloves, nutmeg and ginger. However, it can be a little overpowering on its own and although allspice is normally part of pumpkin spice, you definitely can’t use the two interchangeably.
RECIPE FOR PUMPKIN SPICE
This Recipe for Pumpkin Spice just screams fall. Elevate anything from pancakes, desserts and lattes to soups and pasta sauces.
- 3 tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Cloves
- Add all the spices to a bowl or jar.
- Mix until well combined. Store in an airtight container or jar with a tight fitting lid in a cool, dry spot for up to 3 years*
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 19Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
RECIPES THAT USE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
PUMPKIN BREAD WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS
PUMPKIN SPICE COOKIES WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING