This 3 Ingredient Recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies could not be any easier to make! They’re great for breakfast, snack time or dessert and I’m willing to bet that you already have all of the ingredients on hand!
So, you love cookies. Or maybe it’s your love for peanut butter that brought you here. Or perhaps, you’re like me, and you just love any recipe that has 3 ingredients (or less). Is it the being able to make cookies without a kitchenaid mixer or a hand blender thing? Cause I don’t blame ya. That’s pretty awesome, too. No matter the reason you stumbled upon this post or these cookies, you’re in for one of the EASIEST all time bakes of your life. These Peanut Butter Cookies come together in a matter of just a few minutes and bake up in under 12. They’re the perfect cookie for beginners but so good you’ll want to keep them as part of your cookie repertoire for years to come.
These 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies were made famous in my house because of the recipe my parents stumbled upon one day written at the back of their peanut butter jar. Since that day, many MANY days ago, they haven’t looked back since. There was actually a point in our lives where they made these cookies at least once a week. These peanut butter cookies are SO dang easy to make that they’re the first thing my parents ever baked with my little niece and the recipe we always turn to when the sweet tooth comes a-knockin.
And with just 3 simple ingredients I pretty much always have on hand, I can shamelessly admit that I’ve answered that call at even the oddest hours of the day (or night)!
THE 3 SIMPLE INGREDIENTS
I mean, you just can’t beat a 3 ingredient recipe. Am I right? I don’t know about you but these 3 ingredients are ones I always have stocked up in my house. You know what that means, right?! UNLIMITED 3 INGREDIENT PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES FOREVER! Let’s get into the ingredients in a little bit more detail down below:
- Peanut Butter: Well, duh! We can’t have peanut butter cookies without the peanut butter! Besides being the star flavour of the cookies, peanut butter also contributes to the texture and structure. It contains fats and proteins that add richness and help bind the cookie dough. You can use either chunky or smooth peanut butter for this recipe depending on your personal preference and the texture you desire for your cookies. RECIPE NOTE: I have made these cookies with both natural peanut butter as well as with commercial brands such as Skippy or Jif with great success. The type of peanut butter you choose to use is totally up to you!
- Sugar: Adds flavour and sweetness to this easy cookie recipe. It also helps the cookies achieve the desired texture – crispy outsides with soft and fluffy insides. I used granulated white sugar in this recipe. However, feel free to experiment with brown sugar, powdered sugar, coconut sugar or even honey/maple syrup. Just keep in mind that using an alternative may slightly alter the flavour, texture and appearance of the cookies.
- Egg: Acts as a binder, helping to hold the cookie dough together. It also contributes moisture and structure to the cookies helping them bake up perfectly in the oven.
HOW TO MAKE THIS 3 INGREDIENT RECIPE FOR PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES (KEY TIPS)
You can find full instructions for how to make these quick and easy Peanut Butter Cookies in the recipe card down below, but here are a few quick tips to keep in mind:
- Ensure that all of the ingredients are well combined before forming your cookies. Mix the peanut butter, sugar, and egg thoroughly until you have a smooth and well-combined dough. This helps in achieving a uniform texture in the cookies. EXTRA TIP: You can use a hand mixer if you so wish but why dirty the extra dishes as you really don’t need one. You can easily mix the batter for these cookies by hand using a rubber spatula or a spoon.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the cookies from sticking and make for easy cleanup.
- Keep the size of the cookie dough balls consistent to ensure even baking. This is especially important if you want all your cookies to have a similar texture and doneness.
- Ensure you leave a bit of space between each cookie on the baking sheet. These cookies don’t tend to spread out too much as they bake. However, they’ll need room for air to circulate in order to cook properly both on the insides and around the edges.
- Use a fork to gently press a crisscross pattern on top of each cookie before baking. This not only adds a decorative touch but also helps the cookies cook more evenly. Keep in mind that these peanut butter cookies don’t spread out too much as they bake so they’ll need that extra push to flatten out and take their shape before baking.
- Don’t overbake. Keep a close eye on the cookies while they are baking. Overbaking can lead to dry cookies. They should take anywhere from 10-12 minutes. The edges should be slightly golden, and the centers may seem a bit soft but will firm up as they cool.
- I know it’s tempting but allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This helps them set without breaking.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The basic ingredients for traditional peanut butter cookies typically include peanut butter, sugar and egg. These three ingredients form the foundation of many peanut butter cookie recipes. However, variations may include additional ingredients such as vanilla extract, baking soda, or chocolate chips for added flavor and texture. This easy recipe, with just three ingredients, is a simplified version that captures the essence of classic peanut butter cookies.
Peanut butter cookie dough is often dense and doesn’t spread as much as some other types of cookie dough during baking. Using a fork to create a crisscross pattern on the top of each cookie helps flatten them. This not only gives the cookies an attractive appearance but also ensures even baking by increasing the surface area exposed to heat.
The crisscross pattern made by the fork not only flattens the cookies but also creates grooves. These grooves allow heat to penetrate more evenly into the cookie, promoting uniform baking. This helps prevent the cookies from being too doughy in the center while ensuring that the edges are nicely baked.
There could be several reasons why your peanut butter cookies taste weird. Here are some common issues that can lead to your peanut butter cookies not tasting proper: the quality and type of your peanut butter, using expired ingredients, over mixing the dough, overbaking the cookies or changing/altering the recipe (such as using a different sugar or flour).
If you don’t eat the entire batch in one sitting (bravo!), store the leftover cookies in an airtight container. You can safely keep them on the counter at room temperature for about a week. However, if you want to extend the shelf life and keep them a little bit longer, you can refrigerate them instead.
These 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies also freeze well. Place completely cooled cookies in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Then, transfer the frozen cookies to a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. Thaw the cookies at room temperature before serving.
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, sugar and egg until a smooth dough forms, There is no need to use a hand mixer here - a rubber spatula or regular ol' spoon will do the trick.
- Roll the dough into small 1-inch balls and place them, evenly spread out, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a fork to gently press down on the tops of each cookie, making a criss cross pattern.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are slightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
LOVE THESE 3 INGREDIENT PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES? TRY MY 3 INGREDIENT ALMOND BUTTER COOKIES NEXT!
MORE DELICIOUS COOKIE RECIPES