This Keto Egg Drop Soup is like a hug in a bowl! Made with only a few simple ingredients and ready within minutes, Egg Drop Soup is a classic for a reason and might just become your new go-to!
If you’re looking for quick comfort food that’ll warm your bones from the inside out, then STOP. Right here, right NOW. This Keto Egg Drop Soup is more than just your answer. It’s SO easy to make, is on the table in literally 5-ish minutes and beats the hell out of getting outta your PJS and hitting up the local Chinese restaurant. Am I right? It’s satisfying, filling, healthy and absolutely delicious. All you need is some type of broth (I love using bone broth for this!), spinach (but other greens will work, too!), an egg and whatever toppings your little heart desires, if any at all.
This is a soup I have on always repeat every single Winter. And without fail, the way the broth warms my soul always reminds me exactly why. After just one bite, I’m sure you’ll figure out the answer to that question and put it on your soup repeat list, as well!
Like Italian Wedding Soup or a good ol’ cheesy bowl of my mama’s famous French Onion, Egg Drop Soup is as classic as it gets. It’s just one of those soups you can definitely rely on being delicious 100% of the time, can seriously not be any simpler to make and since it only takes like five whole minutes out of your life from start to finish, it’s perfect for when you crave that Chinese takeout but are too lazy to get out of your PJs. That’s right. This Keto Egg Drop Soup is cozy, comforting and best eaten in PJs straight out of the pot. But, who am I to tell you what to do?
It’s soups like these that make me look forward to Soup Season every year. Although, let’s be honest, this is one you can catch me sippin’ on all year round. It’s just too good not to. Not to mention EASY. And I basically always have the ingredients on hand, even when I’m not on the Keto Diet. This Keto Egg Drop Soup has always been a favourite and I can guarantee that everyone you serve it to is going to love it just as much as I (you) do!
INGREDIENTS FOR KETO EGG DROP SOUP
This Keto Egg Drop Soup is so simple to make and is easily customizable. Add in toppings, or don’t. Use any kind of broth you want. Season it however you like. You get the deal.
- The Broth: Since the broth is the base of our soup, that’s where most of the flavour will come from. The beauty of Egg Drop Soup is that it can be made with whatever broth you have on hand! Since I normally have a few containers of homemade bone broth in my freezer, that’s usually my go-to and gives the soup a deep, rich flavour. However, chicken, veggie or beef broth are all great options.
- Spinach: This nutrient-rich vegetable adds a whack of healthy vitamins and minerals to the soup. it’s full of Iron, Calcium, Fiber and Vitamins C and K. You can also use other easily wilted greens such as swiss chard, rocket, kale, mustard or collard, if you prefer.
- Egg: The key to Egg Drop Soup! Also the funnest dang part about making this whole thing! It adds structure, texture and flavour to the soup. When done right the egg should be in little “strands” as it cooks when dropped into the hot broth. See the tips in the section down below for how to perfect the egg dropping part of this soup!
- Parsley: Adds flavour and a pop of colour to the soup. Fresh is best for this recipe. You can always switch it up and use whatever other herbs you have on hand. Fresh chopped cilantro, basil or thyme are always good options.
- Green Onions: Totally optional but one of my favourite toppings for this Keto Egg Drop Soup. They add freshness, flavour and a bit of crunch to the soup and goes perfectly well with all the other ingredients.
- Sesame Seeds: Another totally optional topping but one that I love. Adds a nutty flavour to the soup and makes a pretty garnish! Since I’m a little extra, I used a combination of white and black. But you can use whatever version you have on hand. Or again, none at all if that’s how you wanna roll.
- Salt/Pepper: Don’t serve me a soup without a little salt and pepper, dammit! As always, adds flavour and balances out the rest of the ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE KETO EGG DROP SOUP (KEY TIPS)
- Make sure to reduce the broth to a slow, gentle simmer (not a hard, fast boil) before dropping in the egg. If it’s boiling, it will cook the egg too quickly and you won’t get those perfect fluffy ribbons.
- Be patient when dropping the egg into the soup. In order to achieve the perfect consistency, you have to drizzle the egg in SLOWLY (and I mean slowly) while whisking the broth with a fork at same time. EXTRA TIP: Beat the egg in a small bowl or ramekin before pouring it in to spread it out as much as you can.
- Whisk the broth in a circular motion (just using a fork) as the egg is being dropped in. This creates a sort of “whirlpool” for the egg and makes the most perfect egg-y strands as you slowly (and I repeat SLOWLY!) drop it in.
- No need to cook or sautée the spinach (or other greens) before adding it to the soup bowl. The hot broth will be enough to wilt or soften the greens enough to eat ’em. Just pour the eggy broth directly onto the raw greens and you’re set. Didn’t I say this was the easiest soup ever?
- Don’t be shy with your toppings and feel free to get a little crazy with it. The toppings are a fun way to add extra flavour and textures. They’re also an easy way to make this Keto Egg Drop Soup go from 0-100 reaaaal quick. Try adding some sliced avocado, a splash of coconut aminos or soy sauce, some mirin or miso paste, sesame oil, sriracha or sambal oelek, a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, some grated parmesan cheese, fresh homemade gremolata, other veggies (mushrooms or bok choy are my favourite!) or even shredded chicken or shrimp.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container, kept in the fridge and consumed within a day. Please note that the egg and spinach might change their colour or texture after sitting in the broth in the fridge, however, the soup will still be delicious. Simply reheat the leftovers in a pot on the stove when ready to eat again. Feel free to freshen it up a bit by adding in some extra toppings, more raw spinach or another fresh cracked egg.
Since this homemade Egg Drop Soup literally takes about 5 minutes to whip up, I don’t recommend freezing it. You’ll get the best tasting soup if the spinach and egg are fresh. Freezing the soup with those ingredients would just turn it into a mushy and watery mess.
Trust me, this Keto Egg Drop Soup can be a satisfying lunch or dinner all on it’s own. But, there are also so many great dishes to serve alongside it! If you want to keep things Keto friendly, here are some great options: Egg Roll in a Bowl, Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese, Philly Cheesesteak Casserole or Eggplant Rollatini.
If you want to keep up with the Chinese food theme, try these great recipes: Beef and Broccoli, Cauliflower Fried “Rice”, Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry or Fresh Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce.
Traditional recipes for Chinese Egg Drop Soup typically contain cornstarch to thicken the broth. However, since this is a Keto version, I skip the thickener completely. Personally, I think the texture of the egg ribbons combined with the spinach give this Keto Egg Drop Soup the perfect consistency and therefore, no thickener is needed.
However, if you like yours thicker and still insist it needs one, you can thicken your soup with a sprinkle of xanthan gum. Start with 1/4 teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired thickness. Be mindful that a little goes a long way, though and adding too much will leave you with a slimy, gummy and extra thick soup that is probably inedible.
YES! Egg drop soup is as nutritious as it is delicious! It’s made with simple and clean ingredients and you can control the amount of sodium and fat added when you make it yourself at home. Broth, spinach and eggs, which are the main ingredients to this Keto Egg Drop Soup, are food powerhouses on their own as in their packed and loaded with valuable nutrients.
You can also choose to take it one step further and top the soup with delicious and healthy add ins suchs as avocado or fresh chopped herbs.
We start with a raw egg, yes. However, when the raw egg is slowly dropped into the soup, the heat from the hot broth cooks it leaving you with perfect strands of cooked egg throughout the soup.
Nutritional Information is just an estimate and is calculated using Nutritionix. The recipe card down below makes 1 serving of Keto Egg Drop Soup which is only 4 net grams of carbs.
- 2 cups Bone Broth*
- 1 handful Raw Baby Spinach
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Green Onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Sesame Seeds, for garnish, optional
- Beat the egg in a small bowl or ramekin using a fork.
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the broth to a boil then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- SLOWLY (and I mean slowly!) drizzle or pour in the beaten egg while whisking the broth in a circular motion with a fork with your other hand. The hot broth will cook the egg and the whisking will turn it into beautiful stringy strands.
- Add the spinach to a bowl, then pour the hot broth on top to wilt the spinach.
- Top with green onions, chopped parsley, sesame seeds and salt and pepper.
I love using Bone Broth but any type of broth works, here. Beef, chicken and veggie all make great options!
Other optional toppings you might love on this Keto Egg Drop Soup: sliced avocado, a splash of coconut aminos or soy sauce, some mirin or miso paste, sesame oil, sriracha or sambal oelek, a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, some grated parmesan cheese, fresh homemade gremolata, other veggies (mushrooms or bok choy are my favourite!) or even shredded chicken or shrimp.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 191mgSodium: 1391mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
LOVE EGG DROP SOUP? TRY MY ITALIAN STYLE EGG DROP SOUP RECIPE NEXT!
MORE DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES FOR YOU TO LOVE