Loaded Keto Cauliflower Soup is the perfect way to stay warm and cozy on those cold Winter days. It’s soothing, comforting and utterly delicious! And yes, it’s Low Carb/Keto friendly but this is one that absolutely everyone is going to enjoy!
This Keto Cauliflower Soup just neeeeeds to be part of your Winter rotation! It’s perfectly creamy, ultra satisfying and like a big bowl of comfort, IMHO. It’s just one of those soups that have the ability to instantly make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Cauliflower really is the star of the show here and since some of it is blended and some left whole, you get the best of both worlds. This Cauliflower Soup is packed and loaded with onions and celery, cheddar cheese and bacon, heavy cream and chicken broth and then garnished with all your favourite toppings. It makes a great appetizer or side dish but I wouldn’t be mad if I devoured it as a hearty and satisfying main dish all on it’s own, either.
Yes. Yes. We’re full on into Soup Season now. Am I right? Although we did have a little (tiny bit) of a snow fall here in BC the other day, I have to admit that the Winter still just doesn’t feel like Winter around here. Considering I’d be knee-deep in snow by now if I was back home in Toronto, that is. I don’t think I’ve ever considered myself a Winter kinda person and can’t say I love the snow, especially back then…when my only worry was how silly I’d look walking around in the bulky Winter hat my mother bought me. Don’t worry, I know better now. At least I was smart enough to keep a hot pot of this Keto Cauliflower Soup on the stove for the days I didn’t. It’s enough to warm anyone from the inside out, even on the coldest of days!
This Cauliflower Soup just so happens to be Keto Friendly. It has a heavy cream and chicken broth base giving it the perfect flavour with just the right amount of creaminess. There are only a few other ingredients that transform a boring ol’ head of cauliflower into something everyone will enjoy. And trust me, you don’t have to be following a Low Carb or Keto Diet to do exactly that!
INGREDIENTS FOR KETO CAULIFLOWER SOUP
As you can see, there are only a few simple ingredients that go into this Keto Cauliflower Soup. It’s quick and easy to whip up making it the perfect addition to dinner on busy weeknights.
- Cauliflower: Well, duh! We couldn’t have this Keto Cauliflower Soup without it! The star and main ingredient and makes this soup velvety, smooth and delicious. I love using fresh cauliflower for this recipe but I’m sure frozen would work just as well. You’ll need 4-6 cups of florets in total.
- Chicken Broth: The base of the soup and what the cauliflower florets boil in to become soft and tender. Adds flavour and thins it out a bit. You can use vegetable broth instead, if you prefer.
- Water: What the cauliflower florets boil in to become soft and tender. Also helps with the consistency of the soup.
- Heavy Cream: A popular ingredient in Keto cooking because of it’s high fat content. Heavy cream makes this Keto Cauliflower Soup extra creamy, velvety and smooth and gives it the perfect consistency.
- Onion, Celery, Garlic: Adds flavour and texture to the soup. Sautéed in a skillet in butter beforehand for extra flavour and to become soft and tender, making them way easier to blend. White or yellow onion work best in this recipe.
- Butter: For sautéeing the veggies. Adds flavour but feel free to use avocado, olive or coconut oil instead, if you prefer. PRO TIP: When you’re transferring the sautéed veggies out of the skillet and into the soup pot, be sure to transfer all that melted butter along with it!
- Cheddar Cheese: Melts into the soup giving it the perfect texture. Used as a garnish as well as stirred directly into the soup because the more cheese the better. Am I right? I use cheddar but feel free to mix things up a bit and use a different kind of cheese instead. Mozzarella, swiss, gruyere or monterey Jack are all great options.
- Bacon: Because who doesn’t love bacon?! Gives this soup a hearty feel while adding maximum flavour. PRO TIP: Keep some aside for garnishing the tops!
- Spices: Specifically Nutmeg, Thyme, Salt and Pepper bring this soup together and make it taste extra delicious. The spices boil along with the cauliflower so they have time to mingle and infuse.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CAULIFLOWER SOUP (KEY TIPS)
- Cut the cauliflower into even bite size pieces. Remember, you’re only blending half the cauliflower florets and keeping the rest whole. Because of this, you want to make sure the florets are bite-able and not too big. EXTRA TIP: When removing half the cauliflower florets from the pot after cooking, choose the smaller pieces. That way, the bigger ones that are harder to eat are the ones that will get blended.
- Only blend up half the cauliflower florets and leave the rest whole! Ultimately, you can always chose to blend up the entire soup if you prefer a smoother consistency without the chunky bits. However, trust me when I say it’s kinda a game changer. The texture the whole florets add to the soup is what sets it apart from the Cauliflower Soup next door, if you know what I’m sayin’.
- Use an immersion blender to easily blend the soup. For easy clean up, you can leave it right in the pot. Alternatively, use a regular stand up blender but be careful and allow it to cool slightly before blending so you don’t end up with a hot soup explosion all over the kitchen!
- Remove the soup from the heat before stirring in the cheddar cheese and heavy cream and stir as you add them in to ensure that nothing burns. EXTRA TIP: Adding dairy to hot soups is not normally the easiest task so to help this along make sure the cream and cheese are not stone cold straight out of the fridge.
- Don’t forget the garnishes! This Keto Cauliflower Soup is great on it’s own but even better with some tasty toppings. My favourites are extra crumbled bacon, grated cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, chopped fresh herbs or homemade gremolata, thick herby croutons, a dollop of sour cream or Greek Yogurt or a combination of any or all of the above!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Any leftover soup should be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge. They’ll be good for up to 5 days. When ready to eat again, simply reheat in a saucepan on the stove on medium low heat (careful not to burn the cream). Alternatively, use a microwave. Garnish with fresh toppings and enjoy!
Yes! Like many soups, this Keto Cauliflower Soup can be made in advance and the flavours will develop more as it sits in the fridge. However, since this soup has whole cauliflower pieces in it, those will end up also becoming softer and more “mushy” over time.
Always leave the garnishes off the soup and top them directly before eating.
Because of all the heavy cream, cheddar cheese and whole cauliflower pieces, Keto Cauliflower Soup may not freeze as well as other soups. However, it doesn’t mean it can’t be done. You just might need to add some extra water, heavy cream or broth upon reheating. Simply store in freezer safe containers like these for up to 3 months and thaw completely before reheating. Again, don’t freeze with the garnishes. Instead, top the soup with fresh toppings just before eating/serving.
Nutritional Information is just an estimate and is calculated using Nutritionix. Each serving of this Keto Cauliflower Soup is 6 net grams of carbs, if you split it into exactly 4 servings.
KETO CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Loaded Keto Cauliflower Soup is the perfect way to stay warm and cozy on those cold Winter days. It's soothing, comforting and utterly delicious!
- 1 head Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 White Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 4-6 slices Cooked Bacon, diced*
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Optional Toppings: Extra grated cheddar, crumbled bacon, dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, fresh chopped herbs or homemade gremolata (see notes), chopped green onions or homemade croutons (see notes)
- Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the celery and onion and sautée until soft, a few minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, an additional minute or two. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, add the cauliflower florets, chicken broth, water and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until the cauliflower is fork tender, about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove about half the tender cauliflower florets from the pot and set aside. Try and take out the smaller pieces so the bigger ones get blended.
- Add the celery and onion (and all the butter!!!) from the skillet into the pot with the remaining cauliflower.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the ingredients in the pot for a few minutes until smooth. Alternatively, allow to cool slightly then transfer it to a stand up blender and blend.
- Add the whole cauliflower florets back into the pot.
- Stir in the heavy cream, the cheese and 4 slices of the crumbled bacon.
- Top with desired toppings and serve hot!
Use 4 slices of diced bacon to stir directly into the soup. Make an extra 2 slices to dice up for garnish, if desired. Looking for an easy way to cook the Bacon? Try my Oven Broiled Bacon Recipe!
Find the recipe for the Homemade Gremolata HERE.
Find the recipe for the Homemade Croutons HERE.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 948Total Fat: 82gSaturated Fat: 47gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 247mgSodium: 2537mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 37g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
MORE SOUP RECIPES TO KEEP YOU WARM ALL WINTER LONG
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH ROASTED GARLIC
LOVE CAULIFLOWER? THEN YOU’LL LOVE THESE RECIPES ALSO
CILANTRO AND LIME CAULIFLOWER “RICE”
MEXICAN STYLE CAULIFLOWER “RICE”
PERFECT OVEN ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
PASTA WITH CAULIFLOWER AND BACON