If you’re looking to spice up your next Fajita night, you’ll impress even yourself with this quick and easy DIY Homemade Fajitas Seasoning! It’s the perfect balance of flavours and will bring any type of fajita to a whole other level!
This Homemade Fajitas Seasoning is so quick and easy to make, you won’t have any excuse to use the store bought stuff again! With simple and clean ingredients you probably already have in your spice cabinet, it seriously doesn’t get any easier or more convenient than this. Whether you’re cooking up chicken, beef, shrimp or veggie fajitas, this Homemade Fajitas Seasoning will take any fajita night to the next level. It’s a spice combination you’re always gonna wanna have on hand as it’s good on more than just fajitas!
One of my absolute favourite things to do in the kitchen (if you haven’t guessed by now) is making things from scratch. Especially things I loooove that are normally not the healthiest choices if you just pick ’em up off the grocery store shelves. You know, with all the additives and ingredients the average person can’t even pronounce. Hey, Ranch dressing, I’m looking at you. So, any time I’m making a new recipe or craving a certain food, the first question I ask myself is ALWAYS “can I just make it at home from scratch?!” And, like this Homemade Fajitas Seasoning, the answer is normally (almost always) YES. Or should I say HELL YES. Because it ALWAYS comes out way better, healthier and is so much easier to make than anyone would think.
FAJITAS HOMEMADE SEASONING (INGREDIENTS)
Once you realize the beauty that combining simple spices in your cabinet can make popular seasonings you don’t hesitate to buy for a few bucks at the grocery store, you won’t hesitate to stop spending those few bucks! Not only is this homemade fajitas seasoning quick and easy to make, it’s made with only 9 spices you probably already have on hand. And if ya don’t, it’ll probably cost less money to buy these 9 spices than it would to buy a pre-packaged Fajita mix with unnecessary fillers and ingredients you really don’t need.
- Chili Powder: The base and bulk of our fajita seasoning. But, don’t worry, it’s not spicy like it might sound. It’s used to replicate that Tex-mex smoky flavour we all know and love.
- Smoked Paprika: Also for that Tex-mex smoky flavour. Smoked Paprika really packs a punch and powerful flavour. Therefore, I wouldn’t recommend using regular Paprika in its place.
- Cumin: A popular spice in Mexican cuisine and IMHO, you can’t make a good taco or fajita seasoning without it. Adds depth and flavour to the seasoning. But be mindful, a little goes a long way.
- Garlic and Onion Powder: Basic seasonings everyone should have in their spice cabinet! The two of these paired with the rest of the spices really tie this homemade fajitas seasoning together.
- Oregano: Adds an Earthy and robust taste to the seasoning. Pairs really well with the other ingredients and visually, makes the seasoning look flavourful.
- Cayenne: For a bit of spice. If you like spicy foods or normally prefer spicier things, feel free to add a bit more.
- Salt/Pepper: Cause a seasoning ain’t a seasoning without a bit of salt and pepper. Am I right?!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE FAJITAS SEASONING (KEY TIPS)
- Use fresh spices. Spices (especially ground spices) lose their potency over time. Since this recipe for homemade fajitas seasoning is based upon exactly that, using fresh spices is crucial for best results.
- Don’t be afraid to double or even triple the recipe. It’s easy to do and your future fajita making self will thank you!
- Measure the spices, add them to a bowl or jar, then whisk or shake it up until they’re completely combined. PRO TIP: Add the measured spices and shake them up directly in the jar you plan to store it in. All you have to do is seal the lid and store in a cool, dry place. Then, you’ll always have it on hand for when you need it.
- I know it’s called Homemade Fajitas Seasoning, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it for other things! This seasoning is great on tacos or to spice up any dish from veggies (i.e. cauliflower and potatoes) to meat like pork chops or fish.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Store your homemade fajitas seasoning in an airtight jar or container. I like mixing my fajita seasoning directly in a small jar with a tight fitting lid. That way, I don’t even have to transfer it after shaking it up. I can just close the lid and store it as is, then use it as needed!
Ready to do a happy dance? This Homemade Fajitas Seasoning stays fresh for up to 6 months. Yeah, that’s right. 6 whole months of stepping up your fajita game! Store it in a cool, dry area for best results.
Other than the obvious aka any kind of fajita your little heart desires (try my Crockpot Chicken Fajitas!), this homemade fajitas seasoning can be used to give any food or dish a Mexican kick. Tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, burritos, nachos and bowls, to name a few. If you’re not feeling anything Mexican, feel free to use this seasoning on just about anything! Baked chicken drumsticks, air fried chicken wings, homemade french fries, instant pot ribs and oven roasted cauliflower are some good options.
Some recipes simply call for “one packet” of fajitas seasoning typically referring to the single portions you can find at the grocery store. Generally, one packet of store bought fajitas seasoning = 3 tbsp of homemade.
HOMEMADE FAJITAS SEASONING
Ditch the store bought stuff and up your fajita game forever with this Homemade Fajitas Seasoning!
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne (more for extra spicy)
- Add all the spices to an airtight container or a jar with a tight fitting lid. Whisk or stir until well combined. Store in a cool, dark area for up to 6 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 25Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 561mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
IF YOU LOVE MAKING YOUR OWN SPICE MIXES, TRY MY BRISKET DRY RUB RECIPE NEXT (WHICH YOU CAN USE ON MORE THAN JUST BRISKET!)
LOVE MEXICAN FOOD? YOU’LL LOVE THESE TASTY FAVOURITES:
FULLY LOADED SMOKY LENTIL NACHOS
CILANTRO LIME CAULIFLOWER ‘RICE’
MEXICAN STYLE CAULIFLOWER ‘RICE’