You can never go wrong with Roasted Cauliflower in the Oven! This simple but delicious recipe is great as a side dish to so many mains or as the star in all your favourite cauliflower recipes. Spice it up or leave it plain!
This foolproof method for Roasted Cauliflower in the Oven is a quick and easy way to get a delicious side dish on your table without much work, time or effort. All you need is a head of cauliflower, some good quality extra virgin olive oil and some salt and pepper. I mean, does it get any simpler than that?! Don’t be fooled though, for as simple as this recipe is, the flavour is still very present and you’re going to love adding these golden and crisp florets to all sorts of cauliflower recipes!
Call me weird, like the kids did back in Elementary School, but when I see a Veggie Tray of some sort, you better believe I’m heading straight for the Cauliflower first. I don’t know what it is but I’ve always loved Cauliflower and yes, I’ve even stuck with it through *ALL* of it’s changes. It’s 2022 and now we know that Cauliflower can be SO many things. It can be saucy wings, pizza crust and even rice. And while I absolutely love every single one of those ways, I’ll always be a fan of the basic version, too. You know, the simple Roasted Cauliflower in the Oven version. I just love it for its reliable simplicity and delicious-ness. And also for the fact that if you do want to get crazy with it, the option for that is there, too.
This particular recipe is the basic of the basic way of roasting cauliflower in the oven. The one that’s going to steer you in the right direction of getting it to that perfect caramelized state that makes cauliflower irresistible. The best part? You can choose to stick it with me and use only salt and pepper or you can get fancy and crazy with it and add some serious spice combinations to flavour things up a bit. Either way, however you decide to go about it, this Roasted Cauliflower in Oven Recipe will get you there.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS BASIC AND VERSATILE OVEN ROASTED CAULI
See how simple? You only need three ingredients to make this roast cauliflower in the oven. Let’s discuss them in a little bit more detail down below:
- The Cauliflower: A nice big head of fresh Cauliflower from the Farmer’s Market or your local Grocery Store. When you chop it down into florets, ensure you make the pieces as even as possible. This will ensure they’re all able to roast evenly and sufficiently in the same amount of time. Alternatively, if you’re short on time or feeling a little lazy, you can start with pre-cut florets you can find in the produce section of any grocery store.
- The Olive Oil: If you’ve been here a while or made/read some of my other recipes, I think you know very well what I’m going to say here. Good quality works best in this (in ALL) recipes 😉 Especially one as simple as this with next to no ingredients. The good quality stuff really makes a difference.
- The Salt/Pepper: Cause it can’t get more basic than that…am I right? In all seriousness, I do keep this roasted cauliflower recipe pretty simple but you can get crazy and ADD (not replace!) virtually any other spice combo you wish. Garlic powder, smoked paprika, parmesan cheese, lemon zest and turmeric are just some suggestions! If using your own spice combo, just add them in when the recipe says to add the salt and pepper. As always, adjust at the end and add more, if necessary.
HOW TO OVEN ROAST CAULIFLOWER (KEY TIPS)
- Ensure you cut the cauliflower into similar bite-sized pieces to allow for even cooking in the same amount of time. I like carefully coring the cauliflower with a sharp kitchen knife first. Then, I cut it into large florets. Then, I split the stem of those florets to create smaller ones using a knife. This creates a straight and flat surface allowing the cauliflower to roast and caramelize beautifully as it comes into direct contact with the sheet pan.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up and to prevent the cauliflower from sticking to the pan.
- Season the cauliflower before baking. I like doing this right on the sheet pan (helloooo, less dishes!) and using my hands. Once they come out of the oven, taste and add more salt and/or pepper, if necessary.
- Lay the cauliflower out in as single of a layer as you can and try not to overcrowd the pan. It’s okay if they touch a little but they definitely cannot be piled on top of eachother or overlapping.
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. I find this is the perfect spot to get the best roasted cauliflower without running the risk of cooking it too quickly or it accidently burning.
- Flip the cauliflower halfway through baking to ensure even cooking on both sides.
- Keep an eye on the cauliflower in the last few minutes of baking. All ovens are different and they could take anywhere from 25-30 minutes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can definitely prep it ahead of time. Cut the cauliflower into florets a few days before you plan on using them and store in an airtight container or large ziploc bag. Season with the salt, pepper and olive oil just before baking.
This Roasted Cauliflower will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days if stored in an airtight container. When ready to eat, simply reheat in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can use an air fryer or microwave.
- 1 large head Cauliflower
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Place the oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 425°.
- Cut the cauliflower into even bite sized florets.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the florets on it. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper. Using your hands or a spatula, toss to evenly coat.
- Spread them out in as even of a layer as you can. It's okay if they touch a little but do not overlap or crowd.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Keep an eye in the last few minutes of baking to ensure nothing burns.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SIDE DISHES? TRY THESE FAVOURITES: