Dill pickle lovers unite! This recipe for Dill Pickle Dip is for YOU! It’s packed with flavour, so easy to make and definitely deserves a spot at your next party or gathering.
Love pickles? This is the perfect recipe for Dill Pickle Dip and the only one you’re ever going to need! Think creamy, crunchy, tangy and zesty all at the same time! Diced dill pickles, pickle juice, fresh dill and scallions are blended into some sour cream and cream cheese for an irresistible mix of flavours. Serve this popular party appetizer with some potato chips, crackers or veggies and it will be a hit with the entire crowd, either way!
Ok, so I know that pickles can be a controversial topic for some. Like cilantro or olives, I find people either love ’em or hate ’em. I don’t think I would be sharing this recipe for Dill Pickle Dip if I didn’t fall on the love side. Annnnnd, you probably wouldn’t have ended up here if you, opposite of me, fell on the ladder. So, now that we’ve established our similar love for the dang Pickle, let’s get into make this Dill Pickle Dip (aka like the best dip, evvvvah), shall we?
WHAT YOU’RE GONNA NEED TO MAKE THIS DILL PICKLE DIP COME TO LIFE
Making this Dill Pickle Dip is pretty simple and only requires 8 ingredients (if you want to go as far as to count the spices). Let’s discuss them in a little bit more detail down below:
- Cream Cheese: A lot of gooooood dips IMHO start with both Cream Cheese and Sour Cream (check out my Mama’s Famous Nacho Dip!) as they both offer different flavours and textures. The cream cheese add thickness and creaminess to the dip. Don’t forget to leave it out at room temperature for a few hours or overnight to soften. This will make it way easier to blend and avoid clumping up as it mixes with the sour cream and other ingredients.
- Sour Cream: Adds a velvety creaminess to the dip. Also adds a smooth texture and balances out the thickness of the cream cheese making the perfect base for a chip dip!
- Garlic Powder: I opted for garlic powder in this recipe for Dill Pickle Dip as I wanted a more subtle garlic flavour. If you want to go for a more distinct or profound flavour, try using 1-2 cloves of fresh minced garlic instead.
- Green Onion: Adds flavour, crunch and deliciousness to every bite! Chop your green onions fairly small so they blend well with the other ingredients. Reserve some for garnish.
- Dill Pickles: The ultimate crunch factor in this Dill Pickle Dip! Chop your pickles fairly small but not too small – you want to be able to taste them and crunch down on them! Yum! Reserve some for garnish.
- Fresh Dill: Fresh Dill is definitely best in this recipe as it adds a noticeably refreshing touch. If you only have Dried Dill on hand, substitute 1 tsp for the 1 tbsp of fresh. But, note that the flavour won’t be as in your face as it is when using fresh dill.
- Pickle Juice: For extra Dill Pickle Flavour! Also balances the thickness of the overall dip and ultimately thins it out a little bit.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST DILL PICKLE DIP (KEY TIPS)
- Don’t forget to soften the cream cheese before blending it with the other ingredients. This will make the blending process easier and ensure that everything blends smoothly. To do this, keep it out at room temperature for a few hours or overnight. If you forget, simply pop it in the microwave for a few seconds outside of any packaging.
- Chop the ingredients fine enough but don’t overdo it. You want to taste the pieces of onions and pickles in the dip. A nice dice, not a mince is what you’re going for.
- Use an electric hand mixer to blend the ingredients for best results.
- Stir the chopped pickles and green onions into the mix after blending the other ingredients. We stir them in, not blend, to avoid breaking them down even further and them turning to mush and getting lost in the other ingredients. They’re our friends, we want to taste them!
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary and according to preference. Some people prefer it more garlicky, less pickle-y, more salty. Don’t be afraid to add a little more of this or a little less of that if you see fit.
- Let the Dill Pickle Dip chill for at least an hour after making. It’s best served cold when all the ingredients have had a chance to mingle. Like this Homemade Tzatziki Sauce or this Quick Tartar Sauce, it gets better as it sits.
- This Dill Pickle Dip will thicken as it sits. If you find it too thick, simply add a tbsp more of Pickle Juice at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Sure! It’s actually rather easy to make this Dip dairy free! Simply substitute out the cream cheese and sour cream for your favourite dairy free alternatives. The dip still comes out creamy, flavorful and delicious.
This Dill Pickle Dip can be served up with crackers, plain potato chips, pretzels, pita, tortilla chips or veggies. I love using Original Ruffles or other plain potato chips with ridges as the dip clings nicely between the ridges and the texture enhances the dip.
Store your dip in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks. Simply give it a good stir before serving. PRO TIP: It will thicken as it sits so you may need to add more pickle juice to reach your desired consistency again.
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cream Cheese, softened
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) Sour Cream
- 1 cup Pickles, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup Green Onions, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup Pickle Juice
- 1 tbsp Fresh Dill
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream, pickle juice, fresh fill, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Blend until combined.
- Add the chopped pickles and green onions.
- Gently stir in with a spoon or fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavours to mingle. Dip is best served cold with potato chips, crackers, pretzels, pita or veggies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 427mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
LOOKING FOR MORE PARTY FAVOURITES THAT WILL PLEASE THE ENTIRE CROWD? YOUR GUESTS WILL LOVE THESE: