This quick Tartar Sauce is so easy to make and uses only a few simple ingredients. You’ll love it next to all your favourite seafood dishes or as a standard dipping sauce for all things delicious.
Did someone say Homemade Tartar Sauce? That’s healthy, delicious, easy to make and goes good with loooooads of different foods? Yeah, I did! All you need to whip up this quick and classic condiment are a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. It’s loaded with chopped pickles, capers, onions, lemon juice and herbs and is made with Greek yogurt for a healthy twist. This Tartar Sauce is fresh, flavourful and will prove that it belongs on more than just Fish n’ Chips. Once you make this tangy and creamy condiment yourself at home, something tells me you’re never going to be buying it at the grocery store ever again!
I think we can all agree that anything homemade is better than anything store bought. Am I right? I especially find that statement extra true when it comes to condiments and sauces. Which, if you know anything at all about me by this point – it’s probably that I loooove my sauces aka ya gal just NEEDS a sauce for EVERYTHING.
Back when I reeeally got into cooking, I always found myself gravitating to making sauces first. I just thought, for example, if I could make a killer Teriyaki Sauce from scratch (without all that added crap you normally find in grocery store brands), then I could make anything! Which was a very positive way of learning how to cook, IMHO. That brings me to this Quick Tartar Sauce recipe. I swear, I’ve never actually bought a jar of this stuff at the grocery store. Why would I when I discovered just how easy and tasty it is to make myself at home!
Like many other store bought sauces that I love so deeply (ranch dressing…I’m looking at you!), grocery store tartar sauce just AIN’T MY VIBE. I mean, it always has a huge list of ingredients (half of which I normally can’t even pronounce) and I just ain’t about it. Not when I have this quick and easy homemade version under my belt. It uses only a few simple ingredients and comes together in just a few minutes making me feel completely badass everytime I make it! Meaning you, too, can join me in the feeling of bad-assery of having it under your belt and adding it to everything you make ALL WEEK LONG.
QUICK TARTAR SAUCE INGREDIENTS
Seeee?! Told ya. Only a few simple ingredients (definitely none of which you can’t pronounce) make up this healthy and delicious Tartar Sauce that’ll take less than 10 minutes of your time to whip up.
- Greek Yogurt: Replaces the Mayo used in traditional Tartar Sauce recipes for a healthy alternative. Full Fat and plain works best in this recipe. Makes the tartar sauce deliciously creamy and gives it the most perfect consistency. Of course, if you prefer, you can always use mayo or even sour cream instead.
- Dill: Adds a fresh herby-ness to the Tartar Sauce. I used dried dill but feel free to use fresh dill instead. Use 1 Tbsp of Fresh Dill instead of 1 tsp of Dried.
- Pickles: For texture and crunch. Dill pickles work best in this recipe.
- Pickle Juice: Adds a nice zing and tang to the sauce. Optional but I feel like it gives this tartar sauce a bit of ‘oomph’.
- Capers: Add a salty, almost citrus-y flavour to the tartar sauce.
- Onion: For texture, crunch and extra flavour. Goes extremely well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Parsely: Adds a fresh herby-ness to the Tartar sauce. I used fresh but if all you have on hand is dried parsley, use 1 tsp instead of 1 tbsp.
- Lemon Juice: Adds tanginess and zest to the sauce making it taste more light and flavourful. Also helps to thin out the tartar sauce giving it the perfect consistency.
- Salt/Pepper: To balance out the rest of the ingredients and bring all the flavours together.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE HEALTHY TARTAR SAUCE (KEY TIPS)
- Use fresh ingredients. As always, with a recipe so simple and with so few ingredients, it’s important that you’re using high quality ingredients for best results. You’ll really be able to taste each ingredient shine through here so you want to make sure they’re as fresh as can be!
- Chop the onions and pickles into fine and even size pieces before mixing them in with the rest of the ingredients. You don’t want them to be too small where they’re difficult to identify or taste but you don’t want them to be too big where they overpower the rest of the ingredients, either.
- Really stir and ensure that alllll of the ingredients are well combined. You want consistent and profound flavours throughout so make sure the ingredients are completely mixed. You should get a bit of everything in every spoonful.
- For best results, allow the Tartar Sauce to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before digging in/serving. Although you could skip this step if you’re reeeeally in a pinch, chilling the sauce allows the flavours to mingle and develop more giving you a more flavourful sauce.
- EXTRA TIP: If you prefer a smoother consistency, blend your tartar sauce in a food processor or blender or cut your onion and pickles much smaller. Personally, I enjoy a thicker tartar sauce and the crunch and texture these ingredients add to the sauce, so I don’t bother with this step.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The best way to store homemade Tartar Sauce is in an airtight container or a sealed mason jar. Keep it in the fridge for easy access and adding to all your favourite meals all throughout the week!
If stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge, this Tartar Sauce will last for up to two weeks without losing freshness. So go on…double the recipe and have it on hand for week long dipping! Recipe Note: The liquid from the pickles, capers and pickle juice might rise to the top as it sits. Simply give it a good stir before serving.
The obvious answer is anything fish related! It would be great alongside classic Fish n’ Chips, this Broiled Cod recipe or as a dipping sauce for these Coconut Crusted Shrimp. It’s also great as a standard dipping sauce for those of you, like me, who need a dipping sauce for everything! Try it with these crispy Baked Potato Wedges, these crispy Air Fried Chicken Wings or this simple BBQ’d Grilled Chicken. As if that isn’t enough, it’s even great on burgers, tacos, sandwiches, wraps and more.
We use the Greek Yogurt to keep things light and healthy. I promise it won’t taste like yogurt at all! Even still, if preferred, you could use regular mayonnaise or even sour cream instead.
Refrigerating the Tartar Sauce for at least 30 minutes before use allows the flavours to mingle and produces the best tasting sauce. It will get better over time as well, so your mid-week sauce will have more pronounced flavours! However, if you’re absolutely in a pinch, dig right in…I’m sure it’ll still be delicious!
QUICK TARTAR SAUCE
Tartar Sauce but make it healthy, quick and easy!
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt, Plain
- 3 large Dill Pickles, minced
- 2 tsp Pickle Juice
- 2 tbsp White Onion, minced
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Capers, minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Dill
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix well.
- For best results, place in an airtight container in the fridge for 30 minutes before use to allow flavours to mingle.
Recipe card time does not reflect the time it takes for the Tartar Sauce to chill in the fridge.
OPTIONAL: If you prefer a smoother consistency, blend your tartar sauce in a food processor or blender or cut your onion and pickles much smaller. Personally, I enjoy a thicker tartar sauce and the crunch and texture these ingredients add to the sauce, so I don't bother with this step.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 4160mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 26g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
SOME OTHER TRUSTY AND FLAVOURFUL SAUCES/CONDIMENTS YOU’LL LOVE ALWAYS KEEPING ON HAND
SWEET & SPICY MANGO HABANERO SALSA
AUTHENTIC GREEK TZATZIKI SAUCE
ITALIAN STYLE HOT PEPPERS IN OIL