This is the best recipe for Homemade Garlic Bread and a perfect side to any meal. It’s rich buttery flavour is great for soups, to soak up any kind of broth or as the perfect pairing with your all favourite dips or snacks!
Are you looking for a recipe for Homemade Garlic Bread? I got you, boo. I’m talkin’ restaurant quality garlic bread in the comfort of your own home that seriously takes almost no effort to make. Skip the store bought spreads loaded with ingredients even Einstein can’t pronounce. Once you see just how easy it is make your own garlic bread at home, you’ll never want to have it any other way again. It’s a staple next to any meal in our house and I know, that after just one bite, it will be in yours, too.
When not on the Low FODMAP Diet for the Boyfriend, I’m ALL ABOUT GARLIC. Hell, I’m ALWAYS all about garlic. But, if you know anything about the Low FODMAP Diet, you know that Garlic, in (mostly) all of its forms and glory, is forbidden. So all things garlic related, unless made with Garlic Infused Olive Oil (which is FODMAP friendly) was on the back burner for a little while there. Hence why I took so long to share this recipe for Homemade Garlic Bread.
But, that’s all in the past now. And here we are. The day has come. Your soups are about to thank you. Your broths are about to love you. And those Roasted Red Peppers, Homemade Sun Dried Tomatoes or Hot Peppers in Oil? Yeah, those babies were made for this.
INGREDIENTS IN GARLIC BREAD
Restaurant style garlic bread awaits you with this crusty on the outside, soft of the inside easy to make version. Let’s get into the ingredients in a little bit more detail down below:
- The Bread: I love using fresh French Baguettes for this recipe. However, I ain’t ever met a bread that this Garlic Spread didn’t go good on. Sourdough, thicker French Loaves, Ciabatta, even Toast…it’s all good.
- The Garlic: I’d like to say Fresh is key here but you gotta make do with what you got. If you only have dried garlic or garlic powder on hand, go for it, it’ll still be delicious. You will need 1 tbsp for this recipe.
- Butter and Olive Oil: I love the combination of the two but if you prefer one over the other, you could just choose one. You could also adjust the ratio depending on your personal preference.
- Parsley: Adds freshness and a herby bite to the garlic spread. Also great for a pop of colour in an otherwise colourless dish. Fresh chopped parsley is best in this recipe.
- Salt/Pepper: Adds flavour and balances out the rest of the ingredients. Ensures that the garlic spread is not bland in any way!
FUN FACT ABOUT ME: I’m shy about a lot of things in life but standing in an isle at the Grocery Store reading every ingredient list is not one of them. I’m big on wanting to know what goes into the food I choose to put into my body. And while I don’t ALWAYS choose the best of the best of the best (CHEAT DAYS, YOU FEEL ME?), I think it’s 100% worth the extra few minutes it takes at the store. You will not believe the kinds of ingredients are in the everyday foods (even those you thought were supposed to be “healthy!”).
I bring this up because we loved having Garlic Bread growing up as kids. The difference? That store bought Garlic Spread my parents would (STILL TO THIS DAY) keep in the fridge. While delicious, it almost makes me nauseous just thinking about what’s actually in that stuff now. I steer far and clear and can confidently say that a tub of those things has never made it into my shopping cart. Why would it when I have the best recipe for Homemade Garlic Bread? 😉
KEY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE GARLIC BREAD
- I like mincing the garlic rather than chopping it so the pieces are smaller and easier to brush onto the Bread.
- Using a basting brush works great for this recipe as the chunks of Fresh Garlic and Parsley are fairly big and need to be “scooped” onto the Bread. Alternatively, use a spoon to spoon the mixture onto the Bread before spreading.
- After the bread is all dressed up and ready to go, bake it first to warm and soften it then broil it to crisp it. The perfect combo!
- You can use softened butter instead of melted butter if you prefer less messy bread. It’ll be easier to spread onto the bread, make less of a mess as you’re doing it and the outcome will be equally delicious.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I love using French Bread or Baguettes! Anything that will hold the garlicky mixture will do – Sourdough, crusty bread, ciabattas, etc. The mixture is quite runny/wet so keep that in mind when choosing your bread type.
Fresh works best in this recipe as the garlic pieces crisp up in the oven and add to the overall deliciousness. However, if dry is all ya got, you’ll need 1 tbsp.
Leftovers can be wrapped in aluminum foil and stored in the fridge. When ready to reheat, simply do so in the foil in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until warm. FYI: The leftovers are also good cold but you’d have to let them sit on the counter for a few minutes before serving as they kind of harden up in the fridge.
Yes! You can make the Garlic Butter in advance (if it solidifies, just melt it in a microwave for a minute before using). You can also spread the garlic butter on the bread a day in advance, wrap it in foil and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. However, keep in mind that the mixture is pretty runny, so doing this part fresh will yield the best (and less messy) results.
FEELING CHEESY? Add some grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese on top before broiling and broil until bubbly and melted. Alternatively, you can add a few sprinkles of Parmesan to the loaves before baking. Not melty but equally delicious.
RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE GARLIC BREAD
It's quick, it's easy and it'll taste like something outta your favourite restaurant.
- 1 (300g) French Baguette*
- 6 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 (heaping) tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Slice the baguette in half lengthwise, then again (so you have four long slices). Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl* (I just use a microwave to do this).
- Add the olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix until combined
- Brush evenly over the loaves using the bristles to scoop up the pieces of garlic and parsley.
- Bake, cut side up, for 8 minutes then broil for 2, until the edges are golden brown and crispy, keeping a close eye to ensure they don't burn. Slice and serve hot.
You can use a different kind of bread, if you prefer.
If you want less messy bread and more of a garlic spread, soften the butter (let it come to room temperature) instead of completely melt it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
LOOKING FOR SOME DELICIOUS MEALS TO SERVE UP WITH THIS HOMEMADE GARLIC BREAD RECIPE? TRY THESE:
KETO FRIENDLY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
HEARTY BEEF AND VEGETABLE STEW