We all need a good Seasoning for Chicken Recipe and this one checks alllll the boxes! It’s herby, fresh and tastes absolutely killer on more than just chicken! The best part? I’m willing to bet you have all the spices to make it in your pantry right now!
I know you probably know this by now but I’m a SUCKER for a good spice mix. And I think you know what I’m going to say next… They’re even better when they’re made from scratch aka HOMEMADE by your badass self. SAY IT WITH ME NOW. When you start making your own spices in your own dang kitchen, it’s like you unlock this underlying super power hidden within. Well, let ‘er shine, sista! Hidden no more!
Making your own spice mixes from scratch is not only cheaper than buying the pre-mixed ones in the spice isle at the grocery store. But it’s waaay better, too. Why? Because you (yes YOU) get to control exxxactly what goes in it. No ingredients you can’t pronounce. And no fillers, additives or preservatives of any kind. Just straight up spices that when mixed together explode with flavour in your mouth. There you go being all badass again.
Whether it be my own homemade Fajitas Seasoning or an out-of-this-world Dry Rub for Brisket, I’m always dreaming up ways of how to make my own spices. There’s just nothing more satisfying than being able to season whatever it is your eating with something you made yourself, especially for a fraction of the cost you can buy it at the grocery store with spices you already have hangin’ around in the pantry. I mean, what better way to use ’em?
I’m not going to lie… I have a spice cabinet bigger than most people’s kitchens. Ok, ok. Maybe not that big. But I seriously have two whole cupboards dedicated just to spices. You know what I see when I see spices? Possibility. Creation. Imagination. Allll of it. Because when you’re loaded up on spices, you literally have a world of flavours right before your very eyes. And when you start magically mixing ’em together just for the heck of it, you begin to see just how easy it is to make that same ol’ Italian seasoning or cajun spice you see on the grocery store shelf for $7. And yours will not only be a lot cheaper, taste a lot better and be a whole lot healthier, it’ll make you realize you never have to buy those pre-mixed spices again!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RUB FOR CHICKEN RECIPE
We may call this a Seasoning for Chicken Recipe but trust me when I say it’s good on more than just that! This seasoning would be great on all poultry from turkey to duck, pork, beef and even lamb. It’s so easy to whip up and it’s ready in just a couple minutes. Let’s discuss the spices you’ll need to bring this baby to life in a little bit more detail down below:
- Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Parsley: These dried herbs are a great mix of flavours that add an Earthy, fresh touch to the seasoning. They work super well together and are a vital part of this seasoning for chicken recipe. However, feel free to switch up the quantities of each if you like, depending on your personal preference. If you don’t have all of these dried herbs on hand, you can use Italian seasoning instead.
- Garlic Powder: Adds that perfect garlicky bite to this rub for chicken recipe.
- Onion Powder: Adds a sweet but tangy onion-y flavour to the seasoning.
- Paprika: For a bit of colour and a hint of sweetness. Try using smoked paprika instead for a smokey boost of flavour.
- Salt: Rounds out the flavours from the rest of the spices and provides the perfect balance to this Seasoning for Chicken Recipe.
- Pepper: Adds a subtle peppery bite to the seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN DRY RUB IN JUST A FEW MINUTES (KEY TIPS)
You can find full instructions for how to make this perfect poultry rub in the recipe card down below, but here are a few quick tips to keep in mind for this recipe:
- Use fresh spices. The key to a good homemade spice mix or seasoning is to use fresh, good quality ingredients. You’ll really taste each spice shining through in their own way. The last thing you want to taste is the stale or dried up spices that have been occupying the back of the spice cabinet for years! EXTRA TIP: Feel free to change up the quantities of the spices listed in the recipe card down below to suit your personal preference. Love garlic? Add more garlic powder. Want to add a bit of a spicy kick? Try adding some chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Mix the spices directly in the jar you plan to store the seasoning in. No extra dishes and as easy as easy can be!
- Make sure the spices are reeeeally well combined before using/storing. That means shaking VIGOROUSLY in the jar or whisking FURIOUSLY in a bowl. You get the idea.
- Store this Seasoning for Chicken in a cool, dry place for long lasting freshness. It’ll stay good for up to a year! EXTRA TIP: Give it a good shake or stir before each use jussst to re-distribute the ingredients.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This part is up to you! You don’t have to leave dry rub on chicken for any time at all if you don’t want to and the flavours will still be delicious. However, the flavours will develop the longer they sit on the chicken. So for a more flavourful chicken dish, you can leave the dry rub on for anywhere from half an hour to overnight (24 hours).
You can use a variety of things to make dry rub stick to chicken! Any oil – avocado, coconut, olive, your favourite – will all do the job just fine. Butter is also a good option for getting dry rub to stick to chicken. Or other melted fat such as bacon fat or beef tallow.
This Chicken Dry Rub will last about a year if stored in a sealed container or closed jar. Keep it in a cool dry place for best results.
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 tbsp Paprika*
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Add all the spices to a bowl or the jar you plan to store it in.
- Stir furiously or shake vigorously until all the spices are well combined. Store in a cool dry place for up to one year.
Try using Smoked Paprika instead of regular for a smokey boost of flavour.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7005mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 9gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
WAYS TO USE THIS CHICKEN DRY RUB
REPLACE THE SPICES IN MY RECIPE FOR GREEK PORK SOUVLAKI
TO SEASON GROUND BEEF BURGERS
ON THESE INSTANT POT RIBS
TO SEASON THIS SIMPLE SAUTÉED SHRIMP RECIPE