This Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe is so easy to follow, I’m not even sure you can call it a recipe! Season it however you like and use it in all your favourite chicken dishes. Salads, bowls, wraps and more!
This Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe is simple, reliable and one you can count on coming out just perfect every single time. All air fryers might be different but, one thing is for sure, they are pure magic and don’t play around when it comes to cooking chicken. These chicken breasts are tender, juicy, crispy and flavourful. They make the perfect meal served up with all your favourite side dishes or the best addition to bowls, wraps, sandwiches or salads. Who knew perfectly cooked chicken breasts could be so easy and taste so delicious?!
It’s no secret…I just LOVVVVE my Air Fryer. From French Fries to Chickpea Patties to this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe that is perfectly juicy. Perfectly tender. And perfectly delicious. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Is there anything the Air Fryer can’t do?!
If you have yet to jump on the Air Frying train then I highly suggest you do so immediately (if not for this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe alone!). With the push of a button (or several buttons…because they can do SO many things!!!) you’ll be feeling like a badass in no time at all with restaurant quality dinners served up right at your own dinner table.
Honestly, there are so many different ways to cook chicken breasts. Like stuffing them, baking them or grilling them. And while all those ways are completely and utterly delicious, these Air Fryer Chicken Breasts are slowing creeping up to be one of my favourites. It’s almost like Ron Popeil in those old infomercials because like the Rotisserie Chicken BBQ he was trying to sell, you can just SET IT AND FORGET IT!
Boy, I’m getting old.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE AIR FRYER CHICKEN BREASTS
For the purpose of showing you that you don’t need to get fancy to have delicious tasting chicken breasts come out of your Air Fryer, I kept this recipe pretttty basic. Use it as a guide and then customize the chicken in terms of spices, marinades or sauces, if you wish. Here’s what you’ll need for the basics in a little more detail:
- Chicken Breast: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are what we use here. If all you have on hand is bone-in, skin-on, feel free to use those. However, take note that the cooking time will need to be slightly adjusted as they will take a bit longer to cook. Try and aim for breasts that are similar in size and not overly thick. PRO TIP: If you find your chicken breasts a little on the thicker side, pound them to your desired thickness using a meat mallet.
- Cooking Spray: The Air Fryer’s best friend! A little oil goes a long way in the world of Air Fryers. Use a good quality, neutral tasting oil such as Avocado or Extra Virgin Olive. And yes, they make sprays for that. Helps prevent sticking and adds flavour. Also helps the seasonings and spices stick to the chicken.
- Salt and Pepper: To keep things basic and simple (and to show you that you really don’t have to get all fancy to cook a flavourful piece of chicken in the Air Fryer!) I opted to season my chicken with only salt and pepper. However, with that being said, FEEL FREE to use whatever spice combination you’re loving at the moment or anything you have on hand. This is where all the seasoning and flavour will be coming. So, don’t be scared to get crazy with it! Change it up from time to time! Making an Italian or Mexican Inspired dish? Want some spice or heat? Change the seasonings or spice combo up to match your recipe! Try it with this Homemade Fajitas Seasoning, Homemade Chicken Dry Rub or with a Peanut Sauce drizzle. The options are literally endless.
HOW TO MAKE THIS AIR FRYER CHICKEN BREAST RECIPE (KEY TIPS)
- Pat the Chicken Breast dry with paper towel before spraying with the oil and seasoning. This will soak up any remaining or excess moisture in the chicken breasts before they cook. This allows them to achieve the tender and juicy insides as well as the crispy outsides that make up a perfectly cooked chicken breast.
- Be generous with your seasonings! You want to get every crevice, nook and cranny! Whether you’re opting for just salt and pepper or you fancy something a little more elaborate, don’t be shy with the seasonings! LAY IT ON THAT CHICKEN! EXTRA TIP: Use your hands to rub/massage the seasoning into the meat.
- On the other hand, don’t over-do it with the oil. A little definitely goes a long way when it comes to Air Fryers and you likely don’t need as much as you think. If you use too much, it has been my experience, that it just falls right off the chicken and through the Air Fryer tray or basket, anyway. Just a little spray – enough to coat the chicken, will do the trick and allow the chicken breasts to crisp up in the Air Fryer.
- Don’t overcrowd the Air Fryer. Try and keep your chicken breasts in as single of a layer as possible. If needed, work in batches as the chicken needs room to breathe or it won’t crisp up or cook properly.
- Know your Air Fryer! All Air Fryers are different and therefore, your cooking time might vary from what is listed in the recipe card down below. Since I have an Air Fryer oven with a large tray and 360° heating, as opposed to a small basket, I don’t have to flip my chicken halfway through. But, if you have a different model, you might have to. Also, my Air Fryer requires 0 preheating (which is why I LOVVVE it so!) but you might not be so lucky. Just make sure to check beforehand if you don’t already know.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. The chicken breast is done (or should I say cooked to PERFECTION) when an instant-read thermometer reads 165° when inserted into the center. EXTRA TIP: To prevent over-cooking, check for doneness a few minutes early.
- Allow the chicken breasts to rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. This allows them to retain their juices and flavour. EXTRA TIP: Place a foil “tent” over the chicken as it rests to retain the heat and the steam.
- Recipe Side Note: The larger the chicken breast, the longer it will take to cook so cooking time may vary depending on the size of the breasts.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Okkkk, so usually you won’t catch me saying no to this question because I’m a firm believer in marinating meat to achieve maximum flavour. BUUUUT honestly, first of all that depends on the amount of time you do or do not have…and secondly, in the case of this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe, it honestly doesn’t need it. They’re tender, juicy, flavourful and incredibly delicious without it! However, with that being said, if you *doooo* have the time, go for it! I’ll never say no to more flavour!
Store any leftover chicken breasts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Simply reheat in a 350° air fryer or oven or use a microwave. PRO TIP: Did someone say meal prep? Having this chicken on hand for fast, healthy meals throughout the week will make you feel like the kitchen God(ess) you already know you are!
So many things! YAY! Try these tender and flavourful chicken breasts on anything from pasta, to pizza, to salads, wraps, sandwiches, bowls and more. Use it in stir frys or on pizza. You can even add it to egg dishes like omelettes, quiches or frittatas.
Again, such endless options you have here! These Air Fryer Chicken Breasts go with just about anything! Try them with this Mexican Style Cauliflower Rice, this Oven Roasted Cauliflower or Broccoli, this fresh Cucumber and Dill Salad or this Sautéed Garlic Broccoli Rabe. Or try using it to replace the Ground Beef in this delicious Taco Salad or the chopped Steak in this Niçoise.
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (6-8 oz. each)
- Good Quality Cooking Spray
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towel. If you feel like the chicken breasts are too thick, use a meat mallet to thin them out a bit. Spray with the cooking spray and generously season with salt and pepper. Use your hands to rub/massage the seasonings into the meat (if using other seasonings or spices, add them now).
- Place in a single layer in the Air Fryer tray or basket. Do not touch or overlap.
- Air Fry at 375° up to 15-20 minutes (turning once, if you have a model that requires to do so) or until an instant-read thermometer reads 165° and the chicken is golden and cooked through. Note that cooking times may vary depending on the size of the chicken breast and the model of the air fryer. Let rest on a cutting board for at least five minutes, under a foil "tent" before slicing and serving or add to all your favourite chicken dishes. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 37g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
DON’T HAVE AN AIR FRYER? TRY MY METHOD FOR GRILLING CHICKEN INSTEAD!
LOVE FLAVOURFUL CHICKEN? THEN PUT THESE DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES ON YOUR MUST TRY LIST (YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE THEM!):