Don’t knock me, folks. I know Spinach and Mashed Potatoes don’t quite sound like the most exciting combination in the world. But just hear me out, okay?
SPINACH + MASHED POTATOES = THE 2-IN-1 SIDE DISH
Now, I must have your attention. Anything 2-in-1 at least deserves sommme recognition, amirite? This dreamy and creamy concoction of Spinach and Mashed Potatoes is the reason you could get away with only make one side dish and calling it a day. You see where I’m going with this? Mamas (all over the world) have spent years telling us to eat our greens. And I’m sure, like me, many of you do exactly that. I somehow got in this habit of cooking where simply enjoy many components to a meal. A green. A carb. A start. A protein. I like it all.
And these Spinach Mashed Potatoes are all. Despite still being on the Low FODMAP Diet and thus, not being able to use any onions or garlic.
WHAT KIND OF MASHED POTATO LOVER ARE YOU?
It wasn’t long after tooting my own horn about how off-the-wall-good I thought these Spinach Mashed Potatoes were, that my BF had other things to say about them. I meaaan, I like my mashed potatoes in a few different ways and let me tell you that CREAMY AND GARLIC are two of ’em. Since he already deprived me of the ladder (re: FODMAPs), I decided I’d double the creaminess. That was before knowing he likes his mashed ‘firm’. I guess I haven’t made mashed potatoes often enough in the last four years to know that. Or maybe I pretended to not know. Like I will continue to do so every single time I continue to make this delicious recipe. Sorry, not sorry. I think it’ll be enough to eventually flip him. 😉
ARE YOU A CREAMY OR A FIRM MASHED LOVER?! There are some sacrifices ya girl just ain’t willing to make!
CREAMY SPINACH MASHED POTATOESCourse: SidesCuisine: Vegetarian, AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Extra creamy with many possibilities of substitutions!
What You’ll Need
2-3 large White Potatoes
3 cups Baby Spinach
1 cup Lactose Free Milk*, slightly heated
1 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Salt and Pepper, more or less, to taste
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
1 splash Garlic Infused Olive Oil, homemade or store bought
- Wash and cube potatoes. Make sure chunks are pretty equal for even cooking. Place ’em in a pot and cover with cold water. Add a few pinches of salt and cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Keep checking.
- Once soft, drain the taters. Put the spinach at the bottom of the pot, add the taters back in and mash using a masher or fork. Slowly add the warm milk until desired consistency.
- Stir in paprika, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and splash with a bit of garlic infused oil. Mix until well combined, top with more salt and pepper and enjoy!
- If not FODMAP conscious, you could use regular milk, cream, plant based milk alternatives, etc.
- If not vegetarian or vegan, you could use chicken broth instead of any milk.
- Could use any leafy green vegetable in place of spinach. I.e. arugula, baby kale.
- Could use any spice combo you desire!
LOVE MASHED POTATOES? THEN YOU’LL LOVE MY CREAMY GARLIC MASHED POTATO RECIPE! BUT IF YOU’RE NOT INTO THE HIGH CARB COUNT, TRY MY MASHED TURNIP RECIPE INSTEAD!
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT POTATO RECIPES? TRY THESE: