Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon are the star of the show at any potluck or gathering. They’re a crowd pleasing favourite perfect for parties or game day!
I know you don’t need me to tell you that Jalapeño Poppers are SO good all on their own. Buuuuut, you know I’ve got a thing for bacon wrapped foods and I mean, I couldn’t let the opportunity of adding Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon to the already delicious list that lives here on the blog. Between Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts, Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Wrapped Almond Stuffed Dates, I’ll always have you covered for all things bacon wrapped. I love wrapping things in bacon so much these days that when I have an idea for a new recipe in my head, “can it be bacon wrapped?!?!” is one of the first questions that enters my mind. Turns out, as you probably could have guessed it, things just HIT DIFFERENT when they’re wrapped in bacon. Am I right?!
Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon are like regular ol’ Jalapeno Poppers’ younger, better looking sister. I mean, both are undeniably delicious, sure. And packed to the brim with a cream cheese filling that is super flavourful yet easy to make. Both definitely deserve a spot on any game day or party menu and will likely be gobbled up by everyone in no time flat. But, you see, the bacon adds a layer of salty, crunchy, deliciousness to the jalapeño poppers that you just don’t get with it’s unwrapped sister.
Besides, in my version of Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, I decided to also give it a WHOLE piece of cheese. It’s only fair, right?! 1 whole piece of cheese and 1 whole piece of bacon per jalapeño half. These babies are HUGE and the cheese just ooozes out as they bake creating a sort of cheese “skirt” around them.
Deliciousness to the max, these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon are ready to be a slam dunk at your next game day gathering!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE JALAPENO POPPERS WRAPPED IN BACON
Let these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon be your proof that delicious doesn’t have to be complicated. Let’s talk about the few and fresh ingredients you’ll need in a little bit more detail down below:
- Jalapeños: The vessel holding all the goods. Therefore, get large ones! You’re wrapping 1 whole piece of bacon around it so the larger, the better. If for some reason you can’t find large ones, you might have to cut the bacon strips in half for best results.
- Bacon: Adds a layer of saltiness, crunch and deliciousness to these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon. Regular cut bacon, and not thick cut, works best in this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: The base and bulk of the stuffing for the Jalapeno Poppers. I use the brick/block but the spreadable version that normally comes in containers would work just fine, too.
- Cheddar Cheese: Responsible for the ooey, gooey melted deliciousness in these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon. The cheese oozes out of the poppers when baked creating a kind of crispy “skirt” around them making them extra delicious. I used cheddar here but any cheese that melts well would do the trick just fine.
- Green Onions: Adds crunch, texture and flavour to the filling of these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon. You can use finely minced red or white onion instead, if you prefer.
- Garlic Powder: Adds a subtle garlic note to the filling of these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon. You can use 2 fresh minced garlic instead, if you prefer.
- Salt/Pepper: To balance out the flavours of the rest of the ingredients and bring this dish together.
HOW TO MAKE JALAPENO POPPERS WRAPPED IN BACON (KEY TIPS)
- Use large jalapeños. You not only need them to be big enough to hold the delicious cream cheese filling but you also need them to hold a whole piece of cheese as well as be wrapped in a whole piece of bacon. The bigger, the better and therefore, more delicious.
- Seed the jalapeños. I know a common way to make something spicier when working with hot peppers is to keep the seeds in. However, that doesn’t work in this recipe as the seeds become tough in the oven and will overtake the filling. Instead, if you want a spicier Jalapeño Popper, add something spicy to the filling. Cayenne, chili flakes, chopped hot peppers or a few dashes of hot sauce are all good options.
- Don’t skimp on the filling. Stuff these babies up! Trust me, there is enough to go around! You want the jalapeños to be full of the cream cheese mixture from end to end, although not overfull.
- Use a rubber spatula to help you spread the cream cheese filling into each jalapeño half. It makes the job so much easier! EXTRA TIP: Run the spatula against the tops of the cream cheese mixture in the jalapeño to smooth/flatten it out before adding the cheddar cheese slice and bacon.
- Gently press each slice of cheese down into the filling and jalapeño before wrapping it in bacon. The cheese tends to ooze out of the jalapeño a bit while cooking so if you press it down into the filling, you have less of a chance of losing it all. EXTRA TIP: Fear not if the cheese does ooze out of the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers a bit. It forms a delicious and crispy layer around the jalapeños which you should definitely leave on. EXTRA EXTRA TIP: Cut the cheddar cheese into THIN slices. This will ensure that the jalapeño is capable of holding most of the cheese as it melts and oozes out while baking.
- Place the Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon seam side down on the parchment lined baking sheet so they hold in place without falling apart. No need for toothpicks here (unless you’re making these for a party then toothpicks could be good for serving).
- Broil the Jalapeno Poppers for the last 5 minutes of cooking to get the bacon and cheese nice and crispy!
- Let the Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. They’ll be too soft and hot to eat or handle right away. Allowing them to cool will firm them up tremendously. EXTRA TIP: Transfer them to a paper towel lined plate to cool as they’ll be super greasy from the fat from the bacon and cheddar cheese.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
No! There is no blanching required for this recipe for Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon. You wrap them raw and they cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes which is more than enough time for them to soften and cook through.
There is a lot going on in these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon that we can consider them a delicious overload! The oozing cheddar cheese and bacon both release a lot of fat while cooking. Therefore, the best way to avoid soggy jalapeño poppers is to allow them to cool for 10 minutes before eating/serving which will give them time to stiffen up as they cool. Also, be sure to press the cheddar cheese slice down gently into the cream cheese mixture before wrapping it all in bacon. This will ensure the jalapeño is able to contain as much of the oozing cheese as possible as it cooks. Finally, transfer the Jalapeño Poppers to a paper towel lined plate while cooling. This will absorb some of that excess grease taking away that soggy element.
Bacon wrapped jalapenos go good with the typical party fare. Loaded nachos or nacho dip, chicken wings or cauliflower bites, dips such as hummus or baba ganoush or other easy tasty snacks such as candied cashews or spiced pecans.
If you’re looking for a good dipping sauce to serve up with these Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon, try my 5 minute Chipotle Mayo, my restaurant style Sriracha Mayo, my homemade Tzatziki Sauce or my healthy Greek yogurt Ranch Dressing.
Yes! The beauty of this recipe for Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon is that you can indeed prepare them in advance making them the perfect party or game day treat. Simply prepare them up until step 5 in the recipe card down below (so stuffing and wrapping) then, instead of popping them in the oven right away, transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the fridge (for up to 24 hours) until ready to cook.
JALAPENO POPPERS WRAPPED IN BACON
Jalapeno Poppers Wrapped in Bacon are the star of the show at any potluck or gathering. They're a crowd pleasing favourite perfect for parties or game day!
- 12 slices Bacon
- 12 thin slices Cheddar Cheese*
- 6 large Jalapeños
- 1 8 oz. brick Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup Green Onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove all the seeds and ribs using a spoon.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, green onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon or rubber spatula, fill each jalapeño half with the cream cheese mixture carefully smoothing out each top.
- Gently press a piece of cheddar cheese into the cream cheese in each jalapeño half. Wrap each half in 1 whole slice of bacon.
- Lay them in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, broiling in the last 5 minutes. The bacon should be nice and crispy. Carefully transfer to a paper towel lined plate and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
The cheese oozes out of the jalapeños a bit while baking which creates a deliciously crispy cheese "skirt" around them. If you don't like the idea of this, simply grate the cheese instead of slicing it and add it directly to the cream cheese mixture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
MORE DELICIOUS PARTY FAVOURITES