Smokey, flavourful and so easy to make, this recipe for Chipotle Mayo is always a winner! It makes a great dipping sauce for all your favourite things and is an easy way to elevate just about any meal.
If you’ve ever ordered sweet potato fries in a restaurant before, then chances are you’ve had a tasty orange sauce served alongside for dipping. You know… the one? The one you go home dreaming about that makes you irresistibly dip every last fry into jusssst so you make sure you don’t leave behind a single drop. Yeah, that one. This restaurant style Chipotle Mayo takes mayonnaise to a whole other level adding the perfect amount of smokey-ness to every bite. All you need are a few simple ingredients and maybe a chef’s hat because this simple sauce will have you feeling like a professional one in no time. It’s true simplicity and the fact that it takes all of five whole minutes to make can remain our little secret 😉
There’s no hiding it at this point. And if you’ve been here for a while (thank you) there’s certainly no denying that I’m a saucy kinda gal and a firm believer that the saucier something is, the better. Having worked in restaurants for decades of my life, Chipotle Mayonnaise has always been an all time favourite of mine. There’s a reason why literally every single restaurant I’ve ever worked in has had at least some version of it. It goes good with jusssst about anything. And always has customers inquiring about it’s deliciousness. It’s just that good.
If you love mayonnaise then I have absolutely zero doubt you’re going to love this chipotle version. To be extra fancy (not really, it’ll only take an extra minute!) try this recipe for Chipotle Mayo using my homemade mayonnaise. However, if you’re pressed for time or want to make a quick recipe even quicker, use a good quality store bought version instead. Either way, add this recipe for Chipotle Mayonnaise to your list of condiments to always keep on hand. You know, next to the tartar sauce and tzatziki.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE FROM SCRATCH
All it takes is 7 ingredients to brighten up some regular ol’ mayonnaise into something super flavourful and delicious. This addicting dipping sauce is so easy to make (thanks to the food processor) and one that everyone always enjoys. Let’s discuss the simple ingredients in a little bit more detail down below:
- Mayonnaise: Well, duh! You can’t make chipotle mayonnaise without some mayo for the base. You can use homemade (find my 1 minute easy recipe HERE) or store bought. The mayo makes it creamy, thick and extra delicious.
- Chipotle Peppers: What makes this Chipotle Mayo smokey, flavourful and delicious. It also adds some chunkiness and thickness to the sauce which I love. Chipotle peppers normally come in a can which you can usually find in the Mexican (or taco) section of any grocery store. You want to go for the ones in adobo sauce which is also a key ingredient in this recipe for Chipotle Mayo. PRO TIP: This recipe for Chipotle Mayo only calls for 2-3 peppers although there are several in a can. Simply portion them out and freeze them for later use in other recipes.
- Adobo Sauce: Simply the sauce in the can with the chipotle peppers. Adds an extra layer of flavour and smokey bite to the sauce.
- Chipotle Powder: For that extra bit of flavour, smokeyness and umph. Also adds the slightest spicy kick to this Chipotle Mayonnaise.
- Lime Juice: Adds tang, acidity and freshness to this recipe for Chipotle Mayonnaise. It really helps to balance out the smokeyness and flavours of the rest of the ingredients. Therefore, freshly squeezed lime juice is best in this recipe.
- Garlic: Adds freshness and balance to this homemade Chipotle Mayonnaise. I like using fresh garlic for this recipe. However, if all you have on hand is garlic powder, use a 1/4 teaspoon instead of the 2 cloves.
- Salt: Makes all the flavours pop and brings this Chipotle Mayo dipping sauce together.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHIPOTLE MAYO (KEY TIPS)
- This recipe for Chipotle Mayo calls for 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Therefore, for a less smokey mayo, use 2 peppers. For a more smokey flavour, use 3.
- Use a food processor or high speed blender to combine all the ingredients. Not only does this save on time as you don’t have to mince or chop the ingredients beforehand but it really makes sure everything is well blended and nicely combined. If you don’t have one, you can always try making this Chipotle Mayonnaise using just a kitchen knife but be sure to really mince up all the ingredients and stir them together extremely well.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor or blender as needed to ensure all the ingredients get nicely combined.
- Give the Chipotle Mayonnaise an extra stir before using, jarring or storing jusssst to be sure that the ingredients are evenly distributed and everything is nicely combined.
- This recipe for Chipotle Mayo only calls for 2-3 peppers although there are several in a can. Simply portion them out and freeze them for later use in other recipes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Chipotle Mayo is so easy to make and uses only a few simple ingredients! You need a good quality mayonnaise for the base (and of course, ya gal has got you covered – click here for my easy homemade mayo recipe!), a few chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (which are sold in a can and can normally be found in the Mexican or taco section of any grocery store), some garlic, fresh lime juice, chipotle powder and salt. It really is super easy, flavourful and extra delicious!
I also recommend using a food processor just to keep things extrrrra quick and simple.
If stored in an airtight container or sealed mason jar, this Chipotle Mayo will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Simply give it a good stir before using and you’re good to go. HINT HINT: Make a double batch for an easy addition to lunches or dinners all week long!
Do you mean what not to serve with homemade Chipotle Mayo?! This Chipotle Mayo seriously goes good with almost anything. It’s the best friend of french fries, potato wedges, sweet potato fries and onion rings. It goes great with chicken wings or drumsticks, on burgers or burger bowls, on sandwiches, tacos and wraps or as part of a salad dressing (Taco Salad, anyone?). It makes a mean dipping sauce for these Quinoa Chicken Tenders, Brussels Sprouts Wrapped in Bacon or these Pork Souvlaki Skewers. See? There really isn’t many dishes this Chipotle Mayo don’t like 😉
- 1 cup Mayonnaise, homemade or store bought*
- 2-3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce*
- 2 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 tsp Adobo Sauce (from the can with the Chipotle Peppers)
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Powder
- Generous Pinch of Salt
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and mix until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer to an airtight container or sealed mason jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Try using my homemade mayonnaise to make this Chipotle Mayo Recipe. Find the full recipe HERE.
For a less smokey mayo, use 2 peppers. For a more smokey flavour, use 3.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1549Total Fat: 167gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 137gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 1685mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is only an estimate and calculated using Nutritionix.
MORE CROWD PLEASING SAUCE AND DIP RECIPES THAT I KNOW YOU’LL LOVE